Orion & M7100 - Can they be Piggybacked?

Forum dedicated to the Harris PSPC Product group items such as Orion, M7100/M7200/M7300, P7100/P7200/P7300, Harris Unity XG-100, GE Orion, GE Master Repeaters, EDACS Trunking, Pro Voice, PC Configure, RPM, and other topics relating to Harris, MA-Comm, Ericsson, GE products.
rescue161

Orion & M7100 - Can they be Piggybacked?

Post by rescue161 »

I really want to get an M7100 VHF model so I can use it for EDACS, ham and for listening to stuff in the higher bands that the EDACS Orion would not do.

My question is, can you use the Orion and the M7100 together on a single control head? I know you can use two M7100s or two Orions, I was wondering if they could be combined together.

I have a lowband Orion on the way, so I want to use the same control head for it and an M7100 (if I can find one).

Thanks in advance.
Scott
n_zero_ndp

Post by n_zero_ndp »

I can tell you that an Orion head will work on an M7100, but I doubt
that you could net the 2 different radios into a single head
because the flashcodes would clash between them.

I inadvertently put an Orion head on an M7100 on the bench at work
for programming/testing. No problems were noticed with that at all......

Dual radio - single head setups require both radios to have
matching flashcodes or funky stuff will start happening.

NØNDP in KC
rescue161

Post by rescue161 »

So putting an EDACS VHF radio together with a conventional lowband radio is out of the question even if they both are Orions?
Scott
Meatball

Post by Meatball »

You can mix an Orion and M7100 in a dual-radio setup. I've had to do it for a customer and it was done with the blessing and assistance of MACOM technical support.

The real key is that the Orion must have the latest and last flash code verison (I think it was series 42 flash). I don't think there's a minimum requirement for the M7100 flash, as I'm pretty sure it was based on the last Orion flash group. 8)

Putting a VHF EDACS radio together with a lowband conventional radio should not be a problem, although you will not be able to scan an EDACS system and lowband conventional at the same time (which you cannot do in a single radio anyway).

I've always found the MACOM dual-band setups to be a bit clunky. Things tend to work fine as long as you only want to use one radio at a time, but say, for example, you're trying to scan both bands at once...sometimes it doesn't work that well.