ORION Codeplug Too New Error

Forum dedicated to the Harris PSPC Product group items such as Orion, M7100/M7200/M7300, P7100/P7200/P7300, Harris Unity XG-100, GE Orion, GE Master Repeaters, EDACS Trunking, Pro Voice, PC Configure, RPM, and other topics relating to Harris, MA-Comm, Ericsson, GE products.
KE9GK

ORION Codeplug Too New Error

Post by KE9GK »

Hello All,

Just bought a new (to me) VHF ORION...went to program it with Programmer 13...and alas I got a Codeplug too new error. Am I screwed like I would be if this was an /\/\ and have to buy the newest version of PrOgRaMmEr....or are these like Kenwoods where you can create a program from scratch and program it into the radio with the software you have. If that is the case...how do I go about doing that??

Thanks for any info you may have!!

Don
Meatball

Post by Meatball »

You can overwrite the radio with an earlier version of ProGrammer, but you will not be able to read the personality out of it. I've done it a couple of times without any ill effects. There may be some incompatibilities if you are using a very early version of ProGrammer and recent flash code. I don't know if there are any potential pitfalls, but it's worked for me.

I think the Radio Maintenance section might work across all versions. I would try to read the radio's tracking and feature data and write it to file first in case programming fails and wipes the EEPROM (Very rare, but it happens).

If you hit the menu key, and then VERSION, it should tell you what flash code it has and what version of Programmer was used to program it. If it's only one or two versions later, it'll probably work fine.
KE9GK

Orion

Post by KE9GK »

Ok..Thanks

The maintenance menu does work, and I can read the radio and it does display the information...so now I at least know what I have in the radio as far as features go. I didnt think my ProGrammer was all that old...its copyright date is 2004. If i do overwite the codeplug..what things do I NEED to specify to make it function..is there a bandsplit or feature set that I have to input? Will I ever be able to read the codeplug from the radio again, or will I always have to edit my original "made up" one?

Thanks for the info (again)
Meatball

Post by Meatball »

That's probably around version 15 or 16; MACOM is now up to version 20 of ProGrammer. I'd back up the feature and tracking data files to your hard disk.

If you overwrite the current personality with your version of ProGrammer, you will always be able to read it with your version or a later one. It's only when you try to read a new codeplug with an older version than what it was programmed with that you run into problems.

I can't think of anything you really need to save from the newer personality. You'll probably want to make a note of the bandsplit. Other than that, I can't think of anything else you'll need to write a new one. You might want to save your radio's operating code to disk as a backup..you can do that from the maintenance screen too.
Splat

Post by Splat »

Will rewriting with a "blank" personality change the radio's tuning? Thanks.
Meatball

Post by Meatball »

No, rewriting with a "blank" personality will not change a radio's tuning. All the tuning functions are done through the tracking data which can only be altered using the maintenance screen.

(This assumes you aren't writing new or different flash code to the radio. If you are changing flash code versions, then it is possible to lose the tracking and feature encryption data. Just writing a radio personality shouldn't present that issue, however).