MRK Programming errors

Forum dedicated to the Harris PSPC Product group items such as Orion, M7100/M7200/M7300, P7100/P7200/P7300, Harris Unity XG-100, GE Orion, GE Master Repeaters, EDACS Trunking, Pro Voice, PC Configure, RPM, and other topics relating to Harris, MA-Comm, Ericsson, GE products.
Victor Xray

MRK Programming errors

Post by Victor Xray »

Help! :x

First things first -- I am a complete GE/MA-Com NOOOBIE; this is my very first commercial radio that doesn't have the batwings on it. So go easy on me 8)

Now to my problem. My setup consists of the following:
- 800 M-RK with the DTMF keypad (is this aka MRK Scan?),
- ProGrammer EDACS4 software,
- an older version (or clone?) of the P96A RIB, and
- the PriceIndustries MRK-1 (non-ribless) programming cable.

Turning the radio on with the cable attached, radio displays "PC PROG". So far so good.

Click Read icon in ProGrammer, a prompt asks New Radio Type, I choose "MRK Scan"

Now reading process starts. I see status updates proceeding in the software (reads RAM, ADI file, etc) and I see both red LEDs flickering on the RIB. After about 10 seconds, I get the following error in the software "Could not initialize radio", and on the radio, I see "PC PROG" on the top line and "APP ERR" on the bottom line.

Any advice on what the problem is and how to fix it?

Oh, one more tidbit I forgot to mention: without PC cable attached, radio displays "PERSDATA" and "ERR=0500" on the display. Guy I bought this from said that is because the radio has no personalities currently programmed in it.

Hmmmm, did I just answer my own question? Maybe there's nothing to read? Ok IF that is the problem, then am I correct in creating a new personality for "MRK Scan" or should it be "MRK II"?
Victor Xray

Re: MRK Programming errors

Post by Victor Xray »

Quick update -

I tried creating a new Personality in ProGrammer then writing that to the radio. Both radio & software communicated successfully and upload seemed to progress normally but it just when I thought it should be complete, the radio reported ERR and the program said programming failed.

Grrr! Where's that elusive Motorola astro that also does EDACS?
n9llo

Post by n9llo »

You have a "System" radio. The "Scan" radio onlt has 6 keys.

Chris
N9LLO
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

I was thinking that too, the same ways as the M-PA models; however, as it turns out, there is no such thing as an "M-RK System" (I couldn't find that in the software either). Ken got me all straighted out. Oddly enough, the full keypad model is called only "M-RK II" whereas the limited keypad is an "M-RK II Scan". No keypad or display is an "M-RK I".

I forgot to update this thread, so here's the latest. As I mentioned, I talked with Ken N0NDP and he was kind enough to take a look at my radio after I gave up trying to program it. He confirmed the memory is corrupted on my radio's controller board which is preventing it from being able to be programmed. We're talking about repair options via email.
silverbk

Post by silverbk »

I'm not an M-RK guy but I have experience with the M-PA which is similar.

I believe that EDACS is a DOS program, so the standard caveats about running real DOS and not a DOS windows apply.

What is the model number or combo number from the back of the radio? Check it against http://www.hallelectronics.com and you will be able to ID the radio.

You are correct about the Pers ERR it means personality error and I usually see it when I jam a codeplug (personality) into a radio of the wrong split. Or after I flash a radio.

You might try locating a copy of Programmer. Which is Ma/Com's current software for this radio. It will run under windows. Sometimes I have difficulty (especially with Big M stuff) with software versions. If you use a newer version somewhere along the way, the older ones refuse to work anymore on that radio.

If all else fails, there is Yahoo group dedicated to the M-RK, and there is also one for the M-PA/M-PD that is excellent.

Don't sell the radio. The M-RK is one of the finest most durable radios ever sold.

Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

Well, thanks I guess, but you totally overlooked my posts, or read stuff into them that's not there.

I AM using ProGrammer, windows based. See 1st post.

I never said I was going to sell the radio. I'm in talks with Ken to figure out a repair strategy. It should be up and running again soon.
silverbk

Post by silverbk »

There are several software versions that will program that radio:

EDACS is a dos program and Programmer is a windows program.

Are you using a real com port? I have never had any luck with those usb to serial adapters.
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

Seriously. I understand your effort trying to help, but please READ my comments that I will say again:

1) I am using ProGrammer - Windows programming software. I am not using any DOS software for programming. I never even mentioned the word DOS. "EDACS4" is a sub-program within ProGrammer for Windows.

2) I never had a communication error between the radio and PC (yes, I am using a real serial port). As I mentioned in my subsequent post, the root problem that was causing my radio not to successfully program was corrupted and unrecoverable memory on the old controller board.

3) The radio is now fixed because the controller was replaced. Read and write programming working as it should.

Not much else needs to be added to this thread, other than to say a big THANK YOU to Ken N0NDP for your help!