GE Phoenix Programming Help

Forum dedicated to the Harris PSPC Product group items such as Orion, M7100/M7200/M7300, P7100/P7200/P7300, Harris Unity XG-100, GE Orion, GE Master Repeaters, EDACS Trunking, Pro Voice, PC Configure, RPM, and other topics relating to Harris, MA-Comm, Ericsson, GE products.
firemedic

GE Phoenix Programming Help

Post by firemedic »

Ok, I've got a GE Phoenix SX with Scan here. I've tried using the niles software and doing the niles2bin program to convert it into a binary image for my data i/o unisite to program the prom. The radio will not operate with the image that the niles software generates for the scan, it's almost like the image is for a model s radio with scan. Is there any other free software out there to generate the image files for the proms? Just trying to get these units up and running on a packet network here as nodes. Thanks!!!!

Keith L. Dobbins KC8RFW
W8TAP Repeater Technician
Parkersburg, WV 26104
Keith L. Dobbins N8KLD
W8TAP Repeater Group Engineer
VTAM/TCPIP Mainframe Network Engineer/MFT Network Engineer
Parkersburg, WV 26104
k2hz

Re: GE Phoenix Programming Help

Post by k2hz »

It is not freeware but there is "progx22.exe" from RFGuys.com that they sell with their programming adapter. It seems to cover more Phoenix models than Niles. It can do the 128ch model that others can't.

I have not tried it with other models. For one radio and minor changes I think the 4EX22A10 manual programmer is the easiest solution.

The best solution is to find a shop with a GE "suitcase" programmer.
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

I just checked "progX22.exe" and it uses Niles Version 6.5.4 and it supports Phoenix S, SX, Scan and 128 channel.

I don't believe there is such a thing as a Model S with scan. Only the SX was available with scan according to all documentation I have.

When you were creating the file, did you select the priority scan type? The Niles software
can cause problems if you skip any steps when creating the file.
firemedic

Post by firemedic »

Yep, selected the fix priority scan type. looking at the binary files of a working unit and the one the niles generated something isn't quite right. I'm going to look at just creating the binary file in the unisite editing the memory locations direct. Just gotta sit with the docs on the hand programmer to figure out what to put in the memory fields. I'm going to try the niles again to see what it generates. I'll make sure to go through each step on it to check it. Is there any know problems with the niles2bin and the scan files the niles creates? Just trying to figure this thing out. I've actually got 6 of them to program for packet nodes hence my displeasure in the hand programmer.

Thanks for all the help!!!!!

Keith Dobbins KC8RFW
mike m

Post by mike m »

I wonder if your selecting the wrong radio type in the Niles pull down menu ?

When you choose the Phoenix radio type from the niles main menu are you selecting PHOENIX SCAN, or PHOENIX SX.

If your radio has the scan and add del buttons on it then the proper selection in Niles is PHOENIX SCAN which is actually the PHOENIX SX with scan, I don't know why Niles named it like this but this may help you.

Duh dummy me I re-read your reply and I see that you did select the correct radio with scan. Weird for sure. I have all of the Phoenix manuals, can you post the model number and I can check and see what the radio actually is.

I vaugely remember some Canadian radios that were on a weird/special split showing up some years ago on one of the old two way radio groups but I don't remember the exact programming problems with these radios, I may have some old notes that could help out, I just need to find them.

Mike
WB8VLC/7
KF4SQB

Post by KF4SQB »

I've had some (successful) experience programming various flavors of Phoenix, even the 128 channel version, with Niles and a home-brew PROM burner. If you'd like, you can send me a frequency list and the combination number off of the radio(s) in question, and I'll see if I can build you a PROM image. If I can make it work for you, I'll be glad to give you a step-by-step of how I set Niles up so you can duplicate my work in the future.
Brett Kitchens
KF4SQB

kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most.......
firemedic

Post by firemedic »

Radios are Comb: N5HH1W40PB. I've got a few in gray cases, and a few in the older beige cases. Trying just to get some 155 range test frequencies in them so I can test the amps and other features to make sure the radios are good on those. Ultimately looking to program in 145.690 if the radios can do that. I'll tinker some more and see where I can get. My programmer is a unisite, so I'm running the niles to bin program that's out there to make the binary image for download to the programmer.

Thanks!!!!
KF4SQB

Post by KF4SQB »

Give me a few days, and I'll see what I can come up with. Give me an email addy, so I know where to send the resulting file(s) to. If you don't want to post it, my addy is in my signature, so you can send it directly to me.
Brett Kitchens
KF4SQB

firemedic

Post by firemedic »

dobbins125 "at" yahoo "dot" com

Thanks again!!!!

Keith Dobbins KC8RFW
Parkersburg, WV 26104
KF4SQB

Post by KF4SQB »

I started looking into this today, and found out that its been too long since I've done this. I'll try to "get back in the swing of things" Saturday night, and relearn everything I've already learned once. I'll try to better document what I do this time. Don't give up on me yet!
Brett Kitchens
KF4SQB

KF4SQB

Post by KF4SQB »

OK, after going over everything I've got, and experimenting a little, I've found a solution for you. Ditch the fancy commercially-built programmer and build your own. There is a very simple little programmer you can build, possibly from parts you have in your junk-box, and use it together with a few BASIC programs, to program the X2212 PROMs used by the Phoenix. All the info to build the programmer, as well as the programs to use with it, can be found on VO1CPU's website. Just click on the "X2212 Programmer" link on the left side of the page. I've used this method with success on several occasions, with a few different versions of the Phoenix. No need to use anything to "convert" the output of Niles, just use the Niles output file directly with the BASIC writing program, and you're done. Best of luck, and don't hesitate to ask if you need additional help.
Brett Kitchens
KF4SQB

firemedic

Post by firemedic »

Well, I got it working. The niles2bin program didn't work right and not sure what format it is dumping into but it isn't a correct bin for the unisite programmer. I looked at the niles files and they are the HEX versions of the programming info. I divided the info into the hex words and can enter the file info by hand in my programmers memory editor. Takes a little bit but for 1-2 channels not bad at all. Put em in like in the niles scan file, and viola! they work. Now I gotta tinker to get it clean and working on the 146 range and all should be well. Thanks for all the help!!!!! Now to build some inexpensive TNC's.

Keith Dobbins KC8RFW
W8TAP Repeater Technician
Parkersburg, WV 26104
KF4SQB

Post by KF4SQB »

Glad to hear you managed to find a solution. I never thought of doing it that way. It does sound a little time consuming if you're doing more than a few channels, though. I'm not sure how exactly it all works, but the little programmer I referenced earlier requires no conversion. Just give it the hex file, and it handles the rest. I don't know if the little BASIC program handles conversion, or if the IC in the programmer does, I just know it works.
Brett Kitchens
KF4SQB