New to GE

Forum dedicated to the Harris PSPC Product group items such as Orion, M7100/M7200/M7300, P7100/P7200/P7300, Harris Unity XG-100, GE Orion, GE Master Repeaters, EDACS Trunking, Pro Voice, PC Configure, RPM, and other topics relating to Harris, MA-Comm, Ericsson, GE products.
radioman2001

New to GE

Post by radioman2001 »

Hi,
I am new to this board but have been on Batlabs since the late 90's. I am proficient with Motorola products but need a primer on the Orion series. I have about 500 units under service at my job. Some basic questions: Is there software out there that allows you to access the EE-prom as Spec-Lab does for Motorola. What are the different versions of software for end users to use for programming. What does each of the versions do or not do. What can you do to modify the radio to do things it was not intended by the factory to do. Is there any rhyme or reason between the ROM serial number and the package serial number. The reason I ask is I have quite a few radios that have their EE-proms scrambled(boards are pulled and in a pile)and I am trying to recover the radios. Also is there a step by step procedure on how to do just that.
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
n_zero_ndp

Re: New to GE

Post by n_zero_ndp »

Is there software out there that allows you to access the EE-prom as Spec-Lab?

NO

What are the different versions of software for end users to use for programming?

(2) DOS versions called EDACS3 & Conv Version 14
(2) Windows versions called EDACS ProGrammer & Conventional-only ProGrammer

What does each of the versions do or not do?

DOS versions allow for out of band programming by hex editing the bandsplits
through the usage of SC files (Special Configuration). SC files allow you to do O-O-B
programming without knowing how to hex edit the software because the software
already supports this function.

Hex editing cannot be done to the Windows ProGrammer but it does support the usage
of SC4 files (Special Configuration 4). The “4” indicates it only works with ProGrammer
(aka: EDACS4)

What can you do to modify the radio to do things it was not intended by the factory to do?

Nothing. This has yet to be cracked by anyone that I know of. All functions are built into every radio but the factory is the only place that can unlock new functions with what is called “Feature Encryption Data”. The factory generates a new data string for big bucks.

Is there any rhyme or reason between the ROM serial number and the package serial number?

YES. The factory might help you get your pile straightened out but they get cranky if you
cannot provide ROM serial with the radio serial. So, RF boards can be swapped but Logic boards need to stay in their original chassis.
The factory keeps a list of all ROM/Radio serial numbers along with the original FEATURE data.

Is there a step by step procedure on how to do just that?

I don’t have such a procedure on-hand. I recently left a job where I was in your shoes.
I know your pain :x ProGrammer has decent HELP files, but help from a human being
is much better. Here is my only advice: back up all of your data before you start messing around in any late model M/A-COM radio.
Save your FEATURE DATA, TRACKING DATA, ROM serial number & radio serial number what ever you do!!!!!!

I hope this helps...