S825 Control Head Audio Amp failure?

Forum dedicated to the Harris PSPC Product group items such as Orion, M7100/M7200/M7300, P7100/P7200/P7300, Harris Unity XG-100, GE Orion, GE Master Repeaters, EDACS Trunking, Pro Voice, PC Configure, RPM, and other topics relating to Harris, MA-Comm, Ericsson, GE products.
d119

S825 Control Head Audio Amp failure?

Post by d119 »

Hi Group,

Turned on the S825 control unit I have in the truck today and I have EXTREMELY low audio (like you have to put your ear to the speaker to hear it), even at full volume.

Nothing has changed in the install, there are no shorts, etc.

Do these things have an audio PA in them that goes bad? I have a spare EDACS control head I could swap the audio amp out of if need be, but the radio in the truck is a Conventional Systems head, not EDACS (does it matter?)

Please let me know.
fineshot1

Re: S825 Control Head Audio Amp failure?

Post by fineshot1 »

d119 wrote:Hi Group,

Turned on the S825 control unit I have in the truck today and I have EXTREMELY low audio (like you have to put your ear to the speaker to hear it), even at full volume.

Nothing has changed in the install, there are no shorts, etc.

Do these things have an audio PA in them that goes bad? I have a spare EDACS control head I could swap the audio amp out of if need be, but the radio in the truck is a Conventional Systems head, not EDACS (does it matter?)

Please let me know.
If you are 100% certain the speaker itself did not go bad try removing the P1 connector on the back of the head
and before reconnecting it look over the pins & check for corrosion. If that does not bring the audio back try
the same with the P2 & P3 connectors on the radio end.
fineshot1
NJ USA
d119

Post by d119 »

I'll give that a shot. Any other suggestions? Is the audio PA located in the RF deck or the control head? Any details on its replacement?
n_zero_ndp

Post by n_zero_ndp »

d119 wrote:I'll give that a shot. Any other suggestions? Is the audio PA located in the RF deck or the control head? Any details on its replacement?
Audio PA is in the control head. "U13" Linear: Low Voltage Audio Power Amplifier; similar to National LM386N - 4.
Amp is on the INPUT/OUTPUT BOARD 19D90058G1

I have LBI-32955B if you want it - PM if so.
d119

Post by d119 »

I finally got around to investigating this issue, and found that when I put the control head cable cover back on the back of the control head, a wire had become pinched and eventually shorted to the control head chassis. Once I un-pinched the wire, everything is back to normal.