Conventional ProGrammer R19A (re)Activation

Forum dedicated to the Harris PSPC Product group items such as Orion, M7100/M7200/M7300, P7100/P7200/P7300, Harris Unity XG-100, GE Orion, GE Master Repeaters, EDACS Trunking, Pro Voice, PC Configure, RPM, and other topics relating to Harris, MA-Comm, Ericsson, GE products.
kc7gr

Conventional ProGrammer R19A (re)Activation

Post by kc7gr »

Fellow techies,

Conventional ProGrammer R19A, sometimes known as EDACS4, has, as far as I know, been "obsoleted" by the appearance of M/A-Com's Radio Personality Manager (RPM) package.

This poses a problem for those of us who are reinstalling R19A after a disk crash. Specifically, even with a valid license key, it won't run because it can no longer reach the license server. Considering said server(s) probably don't exist any more, especially with Harris having bought the M/A-Com line from Tyco, I cannot say I'm surprised.

With this in mind, and at the risk of asking a loaded question: Does anyone know of any workarounds for this before I call Harris on Monday, and try to wend my way through their maze?

Failing that: I suppose I can try R15A, as I also have an old copy of it and I don't think it required a license code. But how will an Orion that's already been programmed with R19A react to such?

Something else just occurred to me... I wonder if I can install R15A, then install R19A over the top of it and have it work...?

Hoping for the best...

Thanks.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73 de KC7GR (Bruce Lane)
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
n_zero_ndp

Re: Conventional ProGrammer R19A (re)Activation

Post by n_zero_ndp »

Not all is lost if a M/A-COM radio has last been progged with R19.

All you have to do:
Using an older version of ProGrammer, do not read the radio.
Just build a new personality from scratch and write it. Problem solved.

This works with R18 for sure.
Unlike an /\/\ radio, you can go back in time......
JungleJim

Re: Conventional ProGrammer R19A (re)Activation

Post by JungleJim »

Have you tried Programmer version R20 or RPM? The same activation key works for both RPM and Programmer. If you buy one, you get both. If you have the install for RPM try installing it and use your key. This will activate Programmer at the same time.

If you replaced the hard drive, you have no option but to call TAC. Your license key will be invalid (their server shows you've used your maximum number) but they can add another installation and either read you a new key over the telephone or email it to you. I was once told that the key is tied to the serial number of the hard drive and the mother board but the hard drive in my laptop has been removed and installed in other computers and RPM/Programmer work just fine.

Programmer and RPM personalities are not forward compatible. You can't use a version of software older than your personality on disk or in the radio to read it. You can, as the previous post says, write a new personality from scratch and then program it in. Once you get R19 reactivated you can read it from the radio.