Modifying GE MTL/MPA for Ham use

Forum dedicated to the Harris PSPC Product group items such as Orion, M7100/M7200/M7300, P7100/P7200/P7300, Harris Unity XG-100, GE Orion, GE Master Repeaters, EDACS Trunking, Pro Voice, PC Configure, RPM, and other topics relating to Harris, MA-Comm, Ericsson, GE products.
John G

Post by John G »

Does anyone have any information on modifying the MPA/MTL for Ham use? Specifically looking for info on how to hack software to allow operation on 902-928 MHz.
n_zero_ndp

MPA "hamflash"

Post by n_zero_ndp »

i think what you are looking for is called "hamflash". heard it through the grapevine about this being done on vhf radios but i don't know if it would work on a 900 meg radio.

no, i don't know where to get this... need to find someone from lynchburg VA to help you there.

good luck
vcaruso

Post by vcaruso »

If anyone happens to come across this info e-mail me with it so I can post it to the RadTek site
Alex
Site Administrator

Post by Alex »

I'll try to inquire and find out where, but a couple of GE/Ericcson employees have radios that are field programmable, and do things like identify in morse at the press of the emergency button.

I'll see if I can ask someone to ask them what the name of the program, or if I would be able to obtain a copy of this software.

Oh, these were UHF radios...

-Alex
n_zero_ndp

Post by n_zero_ndp »

[quote="alex"]
I'll try to inquire and find out where, but a couple of GE/Ericcson employees have radios that are field programmable, and do things like identify in morse at the press of the emergency button.......
=====================================

that type of operation is exactly what i was refering to...
exclusive to the E/GE folks

John G. - is that an EDACS or conventional 900 meg radio???
mike m

Post by mike m »

don't count on ever obtaining the hamflash from the lynchburg group. Within the past week hamflashed radios were showing up in commercial service and they were confiscated, as a result the lynchburg guys got into a lot of trouble with the FCC over the distribution of the software and a cap has been put on the hamflash, from what I heard it will never be distributed again and copies were confiscated and destroyed.

Mike
Alex
Site Administrator

Post by Alex »

Interesting.

I haven't gotten around to asking a friend to do some poking for me. If I can find any sources for the software, i'll pass on the info.

-Alex
vcaruso

Post by vcaruso »

Folks,

I believe I have a copy of ham flash which I am going to try on one of my radios, if it in fact is what I think it is I will post my results and the link.
mike m

Post by mike m »

If it truley is the hamflash it also requires another program called flash.exe or mpaflash.exe to use it which is one more program that is almost impossible to obtain now. The correct flash names should be hamvgb.bpd, ham628.bpd, hamvgb_8.bpd or ham628_8.bpb, if it is anything different without the ham in the name then it isn't the hamflash.

Mike
Alex
Site Administrator

Post by Alex »

I saw a friend of mine who had one of these radios this weekend. He used to work for the RF division of GE/Ericsson.

Here's the deal. To use HamFlash you need to start with a trunking UHF radio, and know someone who is willing to do this mod for you. It requires a trunking radio period. The software that performs this function is even more higly guarded since someone in MI (i think that's where he said) was selling the radios with the flash in it. This is why it can't be found :(.

I can't get a copy of the software to do this. Sorry.

-Alex
mike m

Post by mike m »

If it is the hamflash it should be named something like HAMVGB.BPD or HAM628.BPD or something similar. Also all you need is the front assembly from any EDACS type of trunking radio to use the hamflash.

Just curious where are you located ?

Mike
vcaruso

Post by vcaruso »

Ok folks I uploaded the version of ham-flash which was donated to the site and it seems to be a functioning complete version.

You can download it from:
http://www.radtek.sdione.net/rss/ge_e/misc_utils

I have also up-loaded over a thousand ge Manuals although they are not yet cataloged they can be found by the LBI or SRN #.

Thanks to all who have donated material for http://www.radtek.sdione.net keep it coming and I will keep posting and improving!

Vince
Alex
Site Administrator

Post by Alex »

mike m wrote:If it is the hamflash it should be named something like HAMVGB.BPD or HAM628.BPD or something similar. Also all you need is the front assembly from any EDACS type of trunking radio to use the hamflash.

Just curious where are you located ?

Mike
Hi Mike, I'm in Rochester, NY.

-Alex
mike m

Post by mike m »

Alex,

OK I was going to offer to help you but since it is now in the files section then I guess you won't need the help.

If anyone has any problems flashing I have some info that may be of some use. I had to set my com port to 4800 baud and flow control to HARDWARE then I ran the flash by entering flashmpa XXXXXX.bpd -1 /9600, not by using the batch files mpa1 or mpa2, and it flashed ok don't ask me why but this is the configuration that I have used. The xxxxxx is the hamflash file name and -1 is for the com port I used.

Also you will need to open your MPA up and look at the controller board, a 628 style controller has a lithium battery on it and an 081 does not. I give this info as I have come across radios where the type of controller board was not marked on the board. I have also come across several non edacs controllers that will not flash at all and the only resort is to find an edacs style controller with the flash memory chips on it and these are the 628 and 081 style boards.

Put it all back together and flash it and enjoy and remember, for ham use only guys. We don't need the ericsson/MaCom police and FCC on our rears if they get into the commercial service as this happened some time ago and the excellent help that used to come out of Lynchburg has practically dwindled as a result.

Mike
Alex
Site Administrator

Post by Alex »

Ah, i personally don't have one of these radios, but I know one of the RF Engineers for Ericsson who gave me the above info. Actually, I don't think he works for Ericsson anymore, but did at one point....

-Alex