MPA Scan vs. Select vs. System

Forum dedicated to the Harris PSPC Product group items such as Orion, M7100/M7200/M7300, P7100/P7200/P7300, Harris Unity XG-100, GE Orion, GE Master Repeaters, EDACS Trunking, Pro Voice, PC Configure, RPM, and other topics relating to Harris, MA-Comm, Ericsson, GE products.
Prospect62

MPA Scan vs. Select vs. System

Post by Prospect62 »

Whats the diff? I noticed the select has no buttons on it, the scan has a few, and the system has a bunch. I've owned alot of GE stuff, but never an MPA. Now that I'm in the market, I'm curious. Thanks.
kc2ixe

Post by kc2ixe »

Select - you get to select which channel you are listening to. NO SCAN - I THINK only one bank of 16 channels

Scan - adds the ability to scan the various channels - turn on and off scanning, change banks, use preprogrammed dtmf tones, etc

system - adds a dtmf keyboard
Threeshot223

Post by Threeshot223 »

Yep....Select is 16 channels only and no display.

Scan and System have a 8-character LCD-matrix display, with status indicators. Both are capable of 192 channels, and the System model allows you to direct-dial with DTMF.

Also, 136-150 System models can be "Hamflashed"...this basically makes the MPA a front-programmable 2m radio.
kc2ixe

Post by kc2ixe »

Threeshot223 wrote:Yep....Select is 16 channels only and no display.

...snip...Also, 136-150 System models can be "Hamflashed"...this basically makes the MPA a front-programmable 2m radio.
I was told that the rig ALSO had to have either a code chip, or trunking chip to have some extra memory space. Might be wrong...
Threeshot223

Post by Threeshot223 »

kc2ixe wrote:
I was told that the rig ALSO had to have either a code chip, or trunking chip to have some extra memory space. Might be wrong...
I wouldn't think so. I'm pretty sure that the radio loses all of it's former capabilities (selectable scan & scan lists, channel banks, GE* and T90/T99, etc) to basically make it a ham radio.
kc2ixe

Post by kc2ixe »

Threeshot223 wrote:
kc2ixe wrote:
I wouldn't think so. I'm pretty sure that the radio loses all of it's former capabilities (selectable scan & scan lists, channel banks, GE* and T90/T99, etc) to basically make it a ham radio.
I was told it needed the extra memory space - hey, I could be wrong, so could the guy who told me. I have a nice system MPA sitting in the charger right behind me
mike m

Post by mike m »

the select model also has a display in it but as everyone else mentions only 16 channels and basic operation that is not alterable on a per channel basis from the keypad.

Also to hamflash any of the MPA radios, you need to have a 081 or 628 style controller board that was only available in the various EDACS and AEGIS radio versions.

To check what flash code the radio presently has in it, hold the side monitor button in and turn the radio on and keep holding the monitor button in. If the displayed flash code starts with the letter I (eye) then it is hamflashable, if it begins with anything else, P for instance, then it is not hamflashable and you can only use the conventional MPA software.

Also any of the scan radios can be upgraded with a new rubber keypad and keypad escution to make them into systems models without any other hardware mods and therefore hamflashable but only if they have the proper controller to begin with, 081 or 628 style for instance.

Also the non hamflashable scan model can be upgraded to a systems model with the same rubber keypad changes and keypad escution change and then reprogramming as a systems model with standard MPA software.

With hamflash you only loose Digital channel guard, GE-star, t-99 and encryption functions but you retain most everything else along with some numerous added features including a great set of scan functions such as selectable SINGLE bank scan, ALL bank scan, VFO scan, direct alphanumeric display tags from the keypad, selectable scan members, dual priority scan (similar to the original) and nuisance delete scan functions along with up/down frequency steps using the * and # keys and a good battery save option, and selectable call sign CW ID during transmit so there are a lot of added features that the non-hamflashed stock radios do not have.

Also be advised that the tracking data for hamflash radios was only intended to hold up in the ham bands and once operating away from the ham bands the power and deviation can vary a bit depending on the particular RF boards being used.

For the most part the MPAs that I have hamflashed all do 144 to 174, 220 to 225, 438 to 465 and 902 to 937 MHz without any major receiver degredation and only some minor TX power fluctuations and some minor TX deviation at the high band edges

Mike
Threeshot223

Post by Threeshot223 »

So, all you have to do to make a Scan MPA a System MPA is change the keypad and program as a system?
NodrogCop

Post by NodrogCop »

Threeshot223 wrote:So, all you have to do to make a Scan MPA a System MPA is change the keypad and program as a system?
Yep.

Gordon
izzy

'select' model w/ DTMF and 192 channels?

Post by izzy »

I just picked up a MPA, which by its serial number is a 'select' model, but which has a DMTF keypad and 192 channel capabilty. I am confused :(

were these mods that were done to the original unit, and if so, which capabilities should function?

thanks in advance

background info follows ...

- iz

from MPA / MPA Aegis / MTL / P400 Portable model numbers
at http://www.hallelectronics.com/getech/pa2.htm
--
Frequency RF Power Package Combination
Model Range Output Number Number

MPA Select 146-162 6W PAJ01 PAHCSX
---

from K4MBE's MPA Info
at http://www.qsl.net/k4mbe/gempau.htm
--
There are three versions of this radio (not counting the 'splits'). The Select, Scan, and System. The Select radio has no keys on the front panel under the display and is capable of only 16 channels and is incapable of scanning. The Scan model has four keys on the front panel, can scan and can be programmed with up to 192 channels (12 modes of 16 channels or 16 modes of 12 channels). The System model has the same four keys the Scan model has and also a 3x4 "DTMF" keypad. The System model can scan and can be programmed with up to 192 channels (12 modes of 16 channels or 16 modes of 12 channels).
--

my sellers eBay comments (excerpted)
--
MPAs make great police/fire radios, and also a wonderful 2 meter handheld amateur radio. It has the capacity of 193 channels, eight character alpha numeric display, and many other features too numerous to mention.

It does seem to be working just fine. I tested it on a service monitor, and it is currently meeting specs for a new radio. It is currently tracked for 1 or 7 watts of output power, but can be programmed for less power if desired. I put a new system EDACS keypad and front plate on it.

This model was one of the last MPAs built, and also has AEGIS encryption encoding/decoding capability (see keycode destroyer button in photo), and full DTMF capability. It is the most technically advanced model of the conventional MPA that was produced.
--
NodrogCop

Post by NodrogCop »

Not to sound ignorant, but how do you know it's 192 channels? Have you read it with the software yet?

It's possible that selects can be upgraded by swapping boards, but I haven't heard of anyone who's done it.

Gordon
izzy

Post by izzy »

NodrogCop wrote:Not to sound ignorant, but how do you know it's 192 channels? Have you read it with the software yet?

It's possible that selects can be upgraded by swapping boards, but I haven't heard of anyone who's done it.

Gordon
I don't have the radio yet, I am reporting what I was told
but the seller has a very good rating
Feedback Score: 560
Positive Feedback: 99.5%
Member since Jan-19-99
I sent the same questions to him, and will likely get a response today. He's been pretty good at communicating.

I wanted to get more insights from the group, tho

thanks in advance

- iz
jparks27

Post by jparks27 »

MPA select has no buttons...sixteen channels
MPA SCAN has 4 buttons..up to 16 banks of 16 channels,and scan.
MPA SYSTEM has full DTMF keypad,and again 16 banks of 16 channels

MPA SCAN AND SYSTEM have options for multiple PL ... you can use the selector knob at top to be programmed for
1)Channel selection,(BANK)mode selection in menu
2)(BANK) mode selection, channel selection in menu
3) Multiple PL/CTCSS tones

An MPA can be changed to ANY of the models (scan,system,select) by changing the keypad... which is about 15$ and going into the configuration menu and telling it what model it is.. you can also change bandsplits by removing the RF deck from the back and replacing it with the band of which you need..except the 900 Mhz..which have special firmware... of course recalibration will be neccesary.

"HAMFLASHING" is easy..provided that the main board is "flashable" the older boards are conventional only and will not allow you to "hamflash" them.. the MPA's are by far the easiest radios I have ever worked with...
k6sjh

Hamflash 900 MPA?

Post by k6sjh »

Has anyone successfully hamflashed a 900 EDACS MPA ?? I have one here that I would love to do.
S. John Holder
K6SJH
Pleasanton, California
http://www.k6sjh.net