M-RK AEGIS: Simplex?

Forum dedicated to the Harris PSPC Product group items such as Orion, M7100/M7200/M7300, P7100/P7200/P7300, Harris Unity XG-100, GE Orion, GE Master Repeaters, EDACS Trunking, Pro Voice, PC Configure, RPM, and other topics relating to Harris, MA-Comm, Ericsson, GE products.
Johnny Grep

M-RK AEGIS: Simplex?

Post by Johnny Grep »

I have the opportunity of buying two M-RK II AEGIS VHF radios, and I was wondering if they can do encryption in simplex. Also, can encryption work on a standard (e.g. conv Mastr II, GR300, etc) repeater?

Once the radios are keyloaded, is there a risk that they will lose their encryption key after a certain time without a battery (or with a dead battery)? How many different keys can you fit in them?
1 ADAM 12

MRKs'

Post by 1 ADAM 12 »

AEGIS is a actually a digital mode, though not an encrypted mode.. it is not open to rx by other users unless they have an aegis radio... so it does limit who hears the traffic. The radios can work 3 ways, analog, Aegis ( digital) and Aegis with either Voiceguard or DES encryption...
As to a repeater passing the signal... for the most part no.... I won't say it can't be done but.... usually the repeaters have specific differences in some areas to allow the proper passing of signal .
Doing Aegis radio to radio in simplex will give you some privacy... and Aegis does not dump from the radio... If the radio has the crypto module
then you will need to keyload the keys in and yes, they can be lost ... ( I can't remember if there is a key retention setting) which would hold it without a battery for extended periods. If your interest is in encryptio thru a repeater and simplex, a voice inversion or rooling code option may be a better solution.
Johnny Grep

Post by Johnny Grep »

OK - Let's say I have two M-RK II's, a good friend with a keyloader and a lot of time on my hands. Can I set it up so radio 1 (my radio) sends a packet/OTAR/authorization or whatever to radio 2 before it can use encryption? i.e. my friend has radio 2, and I don't want him to use crypto unless I authorize him to do it. Radio 1 can ALWAYS tx/rx in recieve. Can it be done? This simulation is, of course, all in simplex.
1 ADAM 12

Keys

Post by 1 ADAM 12 »

Not without a whole bunch of control infrastructure... How about two channels ...1 with the key assigned and 1 without...and just not tell him why you want him to switch....