EPH user comments

This forum is created for the discussion of Bendix King Radios.

Moderator: mancow

LarryB

EPH user comments

Post by LarryB »

I have used an EPH series on vhf hi for 6 or seven years now, this radio can get into repeaters my kenwood TK cannot even hear. It is a heavy radio but the power out and receive capability are great. the short antenna that came with it perform better than most others I have tried. I have been very pleased with it.
broke it darn it
Birken Vogt

Post by Birken Vogt »

If I remember correctly some of the Kenwoods come with lousy antennas, while the BKs are known to have good antennas, even the short ones. Most of the Kenwoods I have tested have really excellent receivers but a bad antenna does you no good.

However I do prefer BK portables myself too. Not only are they easy to program with a pocket knife, also if you are sitting at a picnic table and a nail head rips a hole in your lunch sack, you can use the BK to pound that nail down so that the next person does not suffer the same fate. They are good tough radios. Though I prefer the metal cases. A cigar will burn through a lexan case if it is left smoldering on the radio while the owner is inside the store. No it was not me that did that.

Birken
LarryB

more comments on BK handheld.

Post by LarryB »

Thanks for the comments on the BK handheld radios. I found the comment about the cigar burning a hole in the case of the radio interesting. I am no longer using the radio to transmit, I built a LM317 voltage regulator in an old cigerette lighter plug, and put a programming switch on a speaker mike and use it as a scanner in my pickup. Easy to program and more audio than any scanner. MY work radio is on lowband (syntorX) will be going high band next year should be interesting to see what kind of radio they supply next, you never know. APCO 25 still has not completely taken hold. LarryB.
broke it darn it