EPH programming

This forum is created for the discussion of Bendix King Radios.

Moderator: mancow

smokeater266

EPH programming

Post by smokeater266 »

I have a EPH Radio and i have the EPHEdwin programming software. My problem is when I try to read the radio or I get a "Unable to upload from Radio" and a "unable to set baud rate" but I do see the frequencies from the radio show up in the software. When I try to write the labels or read the labels these messages show up and the software will not read/send the information. Please help...
RealZenDiesel

Re: EPH programming

Post by RealZenDiesel »

I will assume you are using a usb to radio connection.
Windows by default places the USB COM port connections higher than the first 4 ports. It's a thing with windows.
Assuming you have the FTDI driver installed already and its working. What you need to do is find the USB device in your Device Manager and manually select a lower port under advanced properties for the USB device in device manager. Often Port 2 is not in use and you can choose that one manually. You will then need to go into the EPH software and set the configuration for whatever port you chose. Typically Com Port 2 is available... if not you will have to manually free one of the lower ports by disabling whatever device is attached to it. You have your choice of COM ports 1-4. Remember 1995 technology in the land before USB physical ports on the computer rarely went above 4 and one of those was printer port.

USB is not automatic on this old software and FTDI is a compromise actually elegant considering the circumstances. Trust me, the serial version of this cable costs almost as much as a car payment which is a crime if you understood how basic and slow RS232 is compared to serial bus.

If you are using FTDI or even serial 9600 8 N 1 works just fine.
amrnremtp

Re: EPH programming

Post by amrnremtp »

I am having a similar problem. I have an EPV, using the EPU/EPV software and a serial cable. I am able to read from the radio, however when I attempt to write to the radio I get a message stating that there was an "error hooking to radio". I am running the software on a Windows XP machine with the software running in Windows 95 Compatibility mode. I am able to read using COMM 1 port. Is this an issue with the port, cable, radio, or ????