Thales/Racal Difference

This is a forum to discuss Thales / Racal radios such as the Thales Liberty, T25, PRC-148.
MOTOROLANUT

Thales/Racal Difference

Post by MOTOROLANUT »

What if any is the difference between the Racal (PRC6894) and the Thales?
Software Versions?
Pro/Cons between the two?
Or just a name? :grin:
Yea I know you love my avatars....
mancow

Re: Thales/Racal Difference

Post by mancow »

There were two versions while under the RACAL name -501 and -503. The 503 is newer and will accept 8.? version firmware whereas the 501 has a different lower numbered revision. They made a few RF antenna port changes and other smaller improvements in the -503.

As for the Thales, I don't know. I would assume that things have been improved over time but as of right now the the current firmware updater package works for the latest product all the way down to the old 501 series. It will auto sense and adjust to whatever revision of radio it's trying to update. So, basically it doesn't look like there is much difference between the RACAL and Thales models.
MOTOROLANUT

Post by MOTOROLANUT »

Many Thanks, I have being seeing them for sale lately and thought about purchasing one. Just was on the fence as to which one.
Yea I know you love my avatars....
sparky

Post by sparky »

I have a racal (thales??) prc6841HBRV, batteries are shot, have ac charger, are there batteries other than $200 ones listed, or a ni-cad rechargable cell holder? I am a Ham and want to try it out.
Thanks