FT-7800R

Forum dedicated to discussion on Icom Amateur Radio products
Tron

FT-7800R

Post by Tron »

Thinking of buying this unit and have a few questions.

When scanning, does it scan fast or slow ( I suppose that's relative )? I've seen some commercial units that seem to scan slower than molassas..even Motorola ones.

Can you mix VHF freqs and UHF freqs within a scan list?

Is it hard to lockout scan channels within the list w/o pushing 50 buttons, etc?

Has anyone had any problems with these units one should know about before buying or other comments?

Thanks

Tron
WC4RAV

Post by WC4RAV »

pretty fast scan rate, not sure of the ch/sec but it's fast...

yes, you can mix VHF/UHF freqs in the scan, and nuisance delete is available which lets you lock out nuisance modes during scan. You can also set a mode to skip.

the software and cable are only 39 bucks and well worth it, especially if you want to group your channels (remember this sucker has 1000 channels with alpha tags!).

I like the radio, it's well worth the 250 bucks (or even less) they sell for and the audio quality on transmit is superb.

these have been trouble/bug free (cough cough..unlike previous new models from Yaesu...the FT-7100 comes to mind, what a turd blossom that one was)
Tron

Post by Tron »

Went out and bought one from AES in Milwaukee yesterday. Now all I need is the time to program it. :-)

Tron
n9gik
Site Supporter

Re: FT-7800R

Post by n9gik »

UMMM I just realized this was in an Icom forum. I have a Yaesu FT-7800R. Is this thread i the wrong forum or am I?

Before you box it up and take it back, or get really frustrated and see how far you can throw it, get the programming software and cable as suggested above.

My kids got tired of watching me flick the display on my old Kenwood TM-271A 2 meter (that model that had a problem with the display not working) to get it to work and went together and bought me a 7800R. Great radio, but if you master all the features and functions you can probably understand Windows as well.

Get the software and cable
I don't know much about 2-way radios but I'm over 50 and can't remember not having one around. Everything from Buddy and Citi-fone to Icom and Kenwood.