Need help programming ICOM F121S radios

Forum dedicated to discussion on Icom Commercial Radio products such as F70, F80, F1721, F2821, F9011, F9021, F9411, F9521, F9511HT.
n9gik
Site Supporter

Need help programming ICOM F121S radios

Post by n9gik »

I just purchased 3 new in box ICOM IC-F121S radios on ebay (Item number: 7556206710). I contacted the seller repeatedly about the programming of them. Originally I was under the impression the radios would be programmed to my specs before shipping. Later the seller told me the needed information to have them programmed would be with them. In the box is a hand written note on a piece of cardboard "Get in touch with ICOM to have your radios set to your specs"

Mikey is not a happy camper.(':evil:')

So, What do I need to program them and where can I get it? My local ICOM dealer took the line on to get the aircraft radios and isn't pushing the business radios too much. I don't expect much help there.

I realize I am stretching the limits on what is allowed on the board. I'm asking about software, but I am asking where I can obtain it legitimately. I'm not interested in downloading some pirated software from a web site in Russia. I want to do it properly.
:angel:
I don't know much about 2-way radios but I'm over 50 and can't remember not having one around. Everything from Buddy and Citi-fone to Icom and Kenwood.
WC4RAV

Post by WC4RAV »

Have you tried calling Icom parts? I have had no trouble ordering software and cables from them. They aren't fat pricks like MORONola, their reasonably priced, and they don't make you sign an EULA either.
Same results with Vertex-Standard and Kenwood. On two occasions tech support from Vertex EMAILED ME software when I was having an issue with an older radio (FTH-7008). Still have the saved email, came direct from yaesu's server...just in case. But they don't have Patrick Harringtons and other forms of losers on their payroll. they are actually quite helpful. I would start there.
jimvm

IC-f221S programming

Post by jimvm »

You can order a SOPC1122 and get free software from EPCOM.
Try http://www.epcom.net.

I tried the IC-F100 software from the Russian site and it works.
You can find schematic for serial programmer on the net.

Good Luck

jimvm
n9gik
Site Supporter

Now what?

Post by n9gik »

I got the radios out of the box and they had a sticker from an Icom dealer on them!. I called him and they generously sold me cables and the CS-F100S software.

The only problem is when I try and read the radio before programming (they were supposed to have 6 itenerant freq's and a weather radio freq in them) it tells me to upgrade to a newer version.

Any other ideas? I am using revision 1.2

I emailed them late yesterday but nobody has answered yet.

One problem I see with the software is it was designed by folks who already knew what they were doing for folks who already know what they are doing. The help files are rather sparse. Lots of them, but they don't tell you anything.
I don't know much about 2-way radios but I'm over 50 and can't remember not having one around. Everything from Buddy and Citi-fone to Icom and Kenwood.
WC4RAV

Post by WC4RAV »

Legal legit copies of Icom software can be had from most Icom dealers, if you ask. I paid around 40 bucks for my legit copy of F3/F4 Cloning Software from Loudoun Communications.

Another advantage to buying legit software versus pirating it is support. If you ever need help Icom will help those who actually paid for their product and not stolen it off some website.

Besides when you buy it legally you get the latest version with full support.
I think 40 dollars is cheap and reasonable considering the competitor (Motorola) who charge upwards of 300 bucks for their software, may deny selling it to you, and make you sign and return an EULA BEFORE they will even consider selling it to you. If legally purchased software bricks your radio, Icom will most likely fix it (provided it is a bug in the software that caused it). If your using an illegal pirated copy, your SOL.

Just my two cents.