Icom 2821 UHF P25 Weirdness

Forum dedicated to discussion on Icom Commercial Radio products such as F70, F80, F1721, F2821, F9011, F9021, F9411, F9521, F9511HT.
KK5FM

Icom 2821 UHF P25 Weirdness

Post by KK5FM »

I'm now the owner of an Icom UHF 2821. When receiving P25 traffic thru a Quantar repeater, on a random basis, the received audio will cut out. We initially thought it might be a priority function, because it has the same type of cut in the audio, but it is too random for that. An Astro Spectra monitoring the same repeater at the same time does not have these dropouts in the audio. Also, at the end of most transmissions, I am getting an annoying buzz from the P25 on the squelch tail. Anyone with experience with the programming? I think it might be a software setting but don't know which one it could be. Thank you!
jsikora

p25

Post by jsikora »

Not sure exactly what you are seeing, but a county not far from me just purchased 25 P25 portables from ICOM. They had similar issues, and not sure what they did, but i know it was resolved. I'll check with my friends out there.

JAS
kd9000

Re: Icom 2821 UHF P25 Weirdness

Post by kd9000 »

I have a 2721D. Haven't noticed the dropout yet, but I've heard about others who say a firmware upgrade has helped. :-?

I did have the squelch tail problem. I am operating Mixed Mode. The repeater is a Quantar. I discovered that you can program CTCSS and NAC on a channel with Mixed Mode receive and P25 transmit. That took care of the digital squelch tail noise. :D

Ken
WA6OSB
kk6rq

Re: Icom 2821 UHF P25 Weirdness

Post by kk6rq »

You probably checked this already, but just in case you didn't, it's amazing how badly a digital
radio will perform if it's slightly off-frequency. It can manifest itself with slightly
increased bit errors all the way to appearing to transmit fine, but receive not at all.
I've also observed trunking radios that seem to RX perfectly, but won't lock onto control
channels; they'll just flash "OUT OF RANGE" endlessly. I hope you sort it out. Maybe double-check
that reference oscillator though...