ICOM F121 getting the software to connect and read the radio

Forum dedicated to discussion on Icom Commercial Radio products such as F70, F80, F1721, F2821, F9011, F9021, F9411, F9521, F9511HT.
giantindahouse

ICOM F121 getting the software to connect and read the radio

Post by giantindahouse »

Hello folks whoever can help me I'm struggling with getting the software to connect to the radio, is there a step or procedure in putting the radio in some kind of mode first that will allow it to connect or something. I've checked my com ports most everything defaults to com port one and I set my com port to # 1 so that all looks good. Please Please help me Thanks in advance :-)

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
n9gik
Site Supporter

Re: ICOM F121 getting the software to connect and read the radio

Post by n9gik »

Its been a year or more since I programmed a 121, but I don't recall any extra steps. The biggest problem I had was the software seemed to be written by someone who knew what they were doing but couldn't explain it to someone else.

Kind of like some people giving driving directions If you have been there before their directions make sense. But if you don't know the territory you're just about lost.
I don't know much about 2-way radios but I'm over 50 and can't remember not having one around. Everything from Buddy and Citi-fone to Icom and Kenwood.
jsikora

Post by jsikora »

No programming mode at all. Make sure you have the proper cable - OPC-1122 and have current software. Other than that just click read or write. what are you getting come up ? a serial port error ? Radio must be on. I program tons of these an have never had an issue, with the exception of newer firmware in the radio. JAS
can ya hear me now...
giantindahouse

Post by giantindahouse »

jsikora wrote:No programming mode at all. Make sure you have the proper cable - OPC-1122 and have current software. Other than that just click read or write. what are you getting come up ? a serial port error ? Radio must be on. I program tons of these an have never had an issue, with the exception of newer firmware in the radio. JAS

Yup I got the right cable and made sure unit was on before trying to connect, however I'm wondering if the setup doesn't like my USB to SERIAL DB9 com port vs a built in serial com port. I took the radio to another shop using there cable and software and worked fine. my only other thought is that the cable I purchased has something wrong with it.
n9gik
Site Supporter

Post by n9gik »

giantindahouse wrote: ... I'm wondering if the setup doesn't like my USB to SERIAL DB9 com port vs a built in serial com port. I took the radio to another shop using there cable and software and worked fine. my only other thought is that the cable I purchased has something wrong with it.
I'm betting that is the problem. I have an IC-F320-6 I want to program, so I bought a cable from an aftermarket vendor who provided the software as well. Seems the software he provided is a DOS version that will not work with the USB to DB9 converter / cable he sold me. He doesn't seem too interested in refunding the money because the cable is good, it's my computer that is the problem. ARGH!!!
I don't know much about 2-way radios but I'm over 50 and can't remember not having one around. Everything from Buddy and Citi-fone to Icom and Kenwood.
jsikora

Post by jsikora »

The only software available for the 320 is DOS based. ICOM has no plans for a windows version.
can ya hear me now...