Program F121 to scan

Forum dedicated to discussion on Icom Commercial Radio products such as F70, F80, F1721, F2821, F9011, F9021, F9411, F9521, F9511HT.
Patrick

Program F121 to scan

Post by Patrick »

Greetings! I am new here and this is my first question.

I recently purchased a NIB Icom F-121 with cable and programming software from a dealer. The software is a PITA, but I have most of it figured out. My questions is, how do I get this radio to scan? I have programmed button P-0 to turn the scan on and off, but it doesn't seem to do anything. When I push P-0 it displays SCAN 1, but doesn't actually scan anything. I have tested this out with another radio that I know is transmitting.

I would like to set a priority scan so channel 1 is priority A, and channel 2 is priority B, and there will be a total of about 10 channels altogether I want to scan. When I contacted the dealer with this Q he told me to play with the software and keep things simple. Not much help there.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Patrick
n9gik
Site Supporter

Re: Program F121 to scan

Post by n9gik »

Patrick,

I haven't played with that particular radio, but I am going to assume it does a couple things similar to my Icom 320. It was set up by the selling dealer to scan any of 10 memories. Button P0 turns the scan on and off Button P1 adds/removes the channel currently chosen to/from the scan list. So if you have activated the scan feature, which I assume you have since SCAN 1 is showing on the display, then unless a channel has been added to the scan list it won't scan anything.

When I am on memory 1 and touch the P1 button it says SC ON or SC OFF. If it says SC ON it has been added to the scan list and will scan that memory. If it says SC OFF it removes it from the scan list and does not scan it.

Like I said, I assume your radio does something similar.

As for the priority feature I am afraid I'm no help.
I don't know much about 2-way radios but I'm over 50 and can't remember not having one around. Everything from Buddy and Citi-fone to Icom and Kenwood.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Thanks, I will go give that a try right now and will let you know how it worked!
icomradio

Post by icomradio »

With your software running, open your file that you programmed with the desired freqs and priority channels, select 'memoryCH' move to the right to 'scan list' column. Assuming all freqs will be in the same bank, enter '1' on each line. In the 'Inc" column, have 'inc' on each line. This tells the radio what scan list each freq is in and weather to include or exclude it from the scan. Now go the feature column on the left, select Scan List, scan list. On line 1, 'scan mode' column double click and select how you want it to scan your list, in the 'text' column, you can rename it, in the 'text on' column you want the word ON. Now go back to the feature column and select 'scan settings'. They should be for example 5.000, 3.000, ON (if you want it to start scanning when powered up. Now back to the feature column and select Common, key & display, hanger action. Should read top to bottom off, on, on. This tells the radio scan only when the mic is on the hook and revert to priority 'A' channel when mic is off hook. This should put you on the right track.......... good luck.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Nope, that wasn't it. I even reset the radio to the starting configuration, added just three channels, all in bank one, and set the buttons for P-0 scan, P-1 scan add/delete. Still would not work. Each of the three channels will work on their own, but the radio will not scan.

When I push and hold P-0 for a second the display shows Scan 1. It stays there for about 30 seconds, and then the display reverts back to the channel it was last set on. When Scan 1 is displayed, the radio still does not scan. I must have something configured wrong . . . I just don't know what it is.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

icomradio -

I will print off your suggestion, run out to the shack and give it a try. Thanks for your assistance, I'll let you know how it goes.
n9gik
Site Supporter

Post by n9gik »

Just thought of something ... is the mic button grounded? Mine will not scan unless the button is grounded.

edit: Oh, now I see icomradio mentioned that as well. That's what I get for posting before fully reading all the replies.
I don't know much about 2-way radios but I'm over 50 and can't remember not having one around. Everything from Buddy and Citi-fone to Icom and Kenwood.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Thanks guys, I got it up and running late last night. It was a combination of settings in the programming to include the scan list numbers in the channel setup, and the on/off settings int he hanger settings. Once I got that straightened out, the radio works great. Once again, a big thanks for your help!

Patrick