IDAS & D-STAR, the same or not?

Forum dedicated to discussion on Icom Commercial Radio products such as F70, F80, F1721, F2821, F9011, F9021, F9411, F9521, F9511HT.
rustynswrail

IDAS & D-STAR, the same or not?

Post by rustynswrail »

Okay can anyone tell me the difference between the commercial standard IDAS and the amateur standard D-STAR? If there is a difference then what is it apart from the obvious - name and band usage etc?

R
fineshot1

Re: IDAS & D-STAR, the same or not?

Post by fineshot1 »

I cant explain in detail but I can tell you they are totally different.

DStar is an amateur radio digital interface for voice and data developed by JARL over in Japan.

IDAS & NXDN were developed by Icom & Kenwood respectively and were developed for
commercial useage as narrow band digital (12.5Khz and 6.25Khz). There are voice
and data components to IDAS & NXDN also.

IDAS & NXDN are compatable with each other except in a trunking configuration which
they are not.
fineshot1
NJ USA
Penumbrian

Post by Penumbrian »

Not exactly correct.

NXDN is the generic name of the mode that was jointly developed by Icom and Kenwood. Icom markets NXDN products under the "IDAS" moniker, and Kenwood markets NXDN under the "Nexedge" name.

My understanding is that DStar was derived from NXDN but they are not interoperable.

DStar is a 12.5khz channel width mode. Icom as far as I know only uses the 6.25khz channel spacing mode of NXDN, while Kenwood has both 12.5 and 6.25khz modes of NXDN available in their nexedge products. All the Kenwood NXDN I've seen deployed uses the 12.5 mode so as to prevent competion from Icom products.
vizwar

Post by vizwar »

D-Star did not come from NXDN. D-Star was developed by the JARL in Japan.

Both use the AMBE+2 vocoder - but they are completely different common air interfaces and cannot talk to each other in digital.

D-Star is 6.25 kHz, so is iDAS. Nexedge, can be 12.5 kHz or 6.25 kHz. In 6.25 kHz they CAN talk to each other in digital but only in conventional, not trunking.