Kenwood TK-340

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

kd5hge

Kenwood TK-340

Post by kd5hge »

Hello.. Just got back from a local hamfest and I picked up a Kenwood TK-340 UHF handheld. THe man said he believed it was user programable but didn't know how. Now my question to you is... How? Any info on this radio is greatly appriciated as I know nothing about it. Thanks...
Trey Watkins
willbartlett
Administrator

Post by willbartlett »

The TK-340 can be self programmed, but it requiers a membrane keypad that gets installed behind the display. You can enter the programming by shorting inside either the 2nd or 3rd slot with a small jewles screwdriver, but I don't reccommend doing this too often, as the contacts are on a very thin PCB sheet and WILL scratch over time. When you short out the appropriate contact, you should see SEL in the display, and if you push the PTT button, you will se, in this order, rx frequency, rx tone,tx frequency (tx led will be lit for this) and tx tone, followed by a few on or off selections which control scan list (tk340D only) and other functions. as you cycle through these selections, you will note the small number 1 in the corner. When you reach the end of tha first channels info, you will see a small 2 in the same corner, that denotes that you are in the programming section of channel 2, continue through and you can go all the way to 16 (tk340) or 24 (tk340D). Play with the buttons and get a feel for how it works, I figured out %90 without opening the service manual. If you have more questions, let me know, I believe I have the service manual somewhere. Good luck, Will

P.S. I have a few parts units if you need more PTT covers and such, no button membranes though.