Latest version of KPG7D software?

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

Boomer740

Latest version of KPG7D software?

Post by Boomer740 »

I'm new to the site, greetings all.

I maintain a fleet of TK-630s for a water utility, and have encountered a problem of sorts with the KPG7D software for programming these radios. Recently my employer purchased a new laptop for me, and this new laptop has no serial port. No problem, thinks I, I'll buy a USB to serial port converter and carry on. Fine, I suppose, except that Windoze XP recognizes the converter as COM 4.

My version of KPG7D, 2.01, only works with COM 1 or COM 2. Is there a later version, or a patch for this version, that allows for COM 4 operation? My network nazis tell me that I can't tell XP which COM port to assign to the converter.

I have a backup, but it's getting annoying carrying two systems around with me. Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,

Paul KB6MIP
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

Well,for starters,the software is made for dos,and won't run corectly in xp.
mod
jim

Post by jim »

KPG7D works just fine under XP on my non-serial equipped laptop. Never had a problem after 1-1/2 years.

I use a PCM/CIA serial card from SIIG and puurchased it through http://www.cdw.com
Boomer740

Post by Boomer740 »

Thanks Jim.

I didn't have any trouble running the software on my XP machine, I was just having trouble talking to connected devices through COM4. A driver update for my SIIG USB-serial adapter has solved my problem. Now I can tell the adapter which COM port I want it to assign itself as, and I can use the software without trouble to talk to my units.

Thanks for your help!

Paul KB6MIP
kd6kml

newest drivers

Post by kd6kml »

If you go the USB to serial route, be sure you the most current driver for the adapter. I think the only way to do this is to go to control panel>system>hardware>device manager> then select properties for the device >driver and then update driver. Be online so it can search.

This took care of several probelms I was having with my serial adapter with windows XP

Hope this helps a bit...
Josh
Always watch the fat man,
For he has found the easy way.
Boomer740

Post by Boomer740 »

I did a variation on that Josh. I went straight to the manufacturer's web site and looked around for a driver for my device. The new driver did the trick.

Paul KB6MIP
kd6kml

Good!!!

Post by kd6kml »

Paul,

Glad to hear you got it to work!!!!

Josh :D
Always watch the fat man,
For he has found the easy way.
kc2kuy

Post by kc2kuy »

Where do you get the new software? I have the 1.10 version..Is there any difference between them both?
BILL
kc2kuy
Search & Rescue
Boomer740

Post by Boomer740 »

I went to the SIIG website and downloaded it: http://www.siig.com/product.asp?pid=252

My adapter now lets me tell it which COM port I want it assigned to. My Kenwood software now works easily with it, now that my USB to serial adapter is at COM 1 instead of COM 4.

Paul KB6MIP