TK-830 troubles

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

ka7wnf

TK-830 troubles

Post by ka7wnf »

I have a TK-830 with the following problem. When first powered up the display is normal, with KCH-4 head. Shows the correct channel. After less than a second the display goes blank and only the backlight stays on. No transmit or receive. I swapped control heads and no change. I checked for voltages and everything looks normal. Any ideas? Bad CPU maybe? Thanks. Peter.
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

Certain early models would lock up. Try putting it in the program mode bu powering up while holding the button just to the right og the channel selector,
program should then show..release the buttons and then turn off then on again.
mod
ka7wnf

Post by ka7wnf »

Thanks for the tip, but that didn't work either. It won't display anything.
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

Did it at least display program?
Wes

Post by Wes »

On the 30 series mobiles, I have seen crazy things like this before, Usually reading and writing of the radio would fix it. Give this a try.....

Wes
Wes Hutchens
wch36@yahoo.com
911 Telecommunicator / 2-Way Tech.
Mount Airy & Winston-Salem/Forsyth County, NC
http://www.ra-techservices.com
ka7wnf

Post by ka7wnf »

It won't display program, it won't read or write. I have had some of these that forgot their programming but this one has me stumped. It shows the proper channel for maybe a second when first powered up then goes blank. If I reboot it it won't show anything. If I leave it off for a awhile it will again show the channel but only for an instant. It will not show program even if I hold the buttons.
Boomer740

Post by Boomer740 »

Just a thought... is one of your front panel buttons stuck in the active (pressed) position?

Paul
ka7wnf

Post by ka7wnf »

I swapped control heads. The problem persisted. It acts like the CPU just shuts down.
ka7wnf

Post by ka7wnf »

I swapped control heads. The problem persisted. It acts like the CPU just shuts down.
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

Now you need to pull out a scematic and check for regulated voltages,could be a shorted cap shutting down a regulater.
mod
ka7wnf

Post by ka7wnf »

It does act like a shorted cap. Today I turned it on after being under my desk for a week. It came on and worked fine for several minutes before going into shutdown. It acts like when the cap is charging it's okay until it's charged then it shorts. I do have a schematic so I'll start looking.
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

Let us know how the progress is going....
mod
ka7wnf

Post by ka7wnf »

Fixed it! It was a bad cap in the control head. The spare head I used to check the radio had the same defect which steered me the wrong direction. (@#$^%%^!!!) C29 is a 22uf 16 volt electrolytic. It had leaked and corroded away the trace that goes from pin 4 of the 5 volt regulator to pin 72 in the CPU. I repaired the trace, replaced the cap and it works fine. Thanks for the advice. 73's.
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

Glad you fixed it! We are gonna make a bench tech out of you yet!
Funny tho,it is almost always a bad cap...trouble is finding it!
I have lifted a many cap to try to find it,moto is the worst tho,for every cap they need in a circuit,they always put in 2 or 10 that weren't needed!
mod