TK 730HG HELP PLEASE!

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

brokenbowhunting

TK 730HG HELP PLEASE!

Post by brokenbowhunting »

I am a newbie to put it lightly when it comes to radios and programming, I seem to do allright with my Motorolas, but am having a devil of a time with my Kenwood TK 730 hg, I am using KPG7d program and bought cable on line. Everything seems to be alright until I ask it to read the radio, then I get an error that says, check my connections. I am using comm port 1 and in DOS. Now the really stupid question, is the power cord and the programming cable, which is plugged into the mike slot, the only thing I need to program? I told you I was a newbie! Could it be I have a defective cable, there seems to be no communication between radio and computer at all. If anybody will help me, as I am lost, I would surely thank you a lot. I have tried a remote TK 730 and a under dash tk 730, both are 100 watts, I am not sure how many channels they have. Thank you!
brokenbowhunting

TK 730 help please

Post by brokenbowhunting »

I have overcome a major hurdle, I now have the radio in the program mode, but when I try to read or write to the radio, everything on the program seems fine, but the display on the radio head says ERROR. The program says it is a done deal but the display says, WAIT, and then finally an ERROR message comes up, can anyone help me out?
n_zero_ndp

Post by n_zero_ndp »

are you using an old slow 3/486 in real dos mode?
Lord Windeschmere

Post by Lord Windeschmere »

Make sure you're NOT using a DOS window from inside Windows. You must use MS DOS, preferably 6.22 since it's the latest. Boot into DOS using a formatted floppy or hard drive that contains the DOS system files. Then you run the Kenwood s/w. You can screw up your radio attempting to read/write it from a DOS window within Windows(any version).
radio259

Post by radio259 »

Try it with the vehicle running. I had the same problem. Seems to be voltage sensitive.

PB
n_zero_ndp

Post by n_zero_ndp »

Dan, did you ever get it progged? :beer:
toyradios

Re: TK 730HG HELP PLEASE!

Post by toyradios »

brokenbowhunting wrote:I am a newbie to put it lightly when it comes to radios and programming, I seem to do allright with my Motorolas, but am having a devil of a time with my Kenwood TK 730 hg, I am using KPG7d program and bought cable on line. Everything seems to be alright until I ask it to read the radio, then I get an error that says, check my connections. I am using comm port 1 and in DOS. Now the really stupid question, is the power cord and the programming cable, which is plugged into the mike slot, the only thing I need to program? I told you I was a newbie! Could it be I have a defective cable, there seems to be no communication between radio and computer at all. If anybody will help me, as I am lost, I would surely thank you a lot. I have tried a remote TK 730 and a under dash tk 730, both are 100 watts, I am not sure how many channels they have. Thank you!
Hi I recently picked-up a TK-830HG on Ebay. I already have the software, but am looking for a diagram of the programming cable, can you help or point me to a source for the information.

Thanks
Bill
n_zero_ndp

Post by n_zero_ndp »

I would suggest to keep it simple and save yourself a headache. Buy a
cable from EBay or where ever... The EBay seller "valley-ent" offers a
very reasonably priced cable for less than $25 shipped.

Search for the KPG-4/KPG-22 cable......