TK-630 flashing "GR1-CH1" on the display, totally

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

nmfire10

TK-630 flashing "GR1-CH1" on the display, totally

Post by nmfire10 »

The radio is a TK-630 remote full display head. At random, it starts flashing "GR1 - CH1" on the display and becomes totally inoperative. The only way to un-stupid the radio is to put it in program mode and then take it out of program mode. It retains it's programming, it just gets locked into this dumb-mode. It does not seem to be a voltage issue. Any ideas?
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

This problem shows up on early 30 series radios,usually due to a power glitch.I looked through my tech bullitons for the fix but couldn't find it.
You could call kenwood tech services and ask them for the fix.
mod
Ridgerunner

hold down...

Post by Ridgerunner »

hold down the option key while turning the power on that should do it
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

Yeah we already talked about the program mode,but it is not the option key in an alpha head,it sometimes pays too read first.
mod
nmfire10

Post by nmfire10 »

I told him "something in your truck is pissing it off and there isn't anything I can do about it. I showed him how to clear by going into and out of programming mode. Oh well.
Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner »

First off n5tbu who pissed in your cheerieos? I would say it has to be some sort of voltage surge issue. I do remember there is a service bulliten for the earlier version of this radio needing to have a cap changed out b.c voltage varations that wouldnt bother other radios would bother this one. I would check into that first, I cant now but I can check when I am at work.
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

Sorry,I didn't intend to seem like a smartass,just trying to help.
mod
w1rs

Re: TK-630 flashing "GR1-CH1" on the display, totally

Post by w1rs »

My first post, new tk630h to me. I have the same symptom, flashing "GR1 - CH1" on the display and becomes totally inoperative. I can put it into program mode, but how do I take it out of program mode? This is with the understanding as someone said before that putting it into program mode then taking it out will fix this.
ka7wnf

Post by ka7wnf »

Turn it off then back on.
w1rs

Post by w1rs »

Thanks for the reply - I did that, but it still comes up flashing the GR1 - CH1 when it powers back on. I can repeat the cycle to set it into program mode, shut it off, then back on - but still the same response. Any ideas?
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

w1rs wrote:Thanks for the reply - I did that, but it still comes up flashing the GR1 - CH1 when it powers back on. I can repeat the cycle to set it into program mode, shut it off, then back on - but still the same response. Any ideas?
The VCO could be unlocked....did the problem start after you put some new freqs in it?
If not,you can try to re-seat the microP.
mod