TK-730/830H Programming Lock Up?

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

Bobcat

TK-730/830H Programming Lock Up?

Post by Bobcat »

We are having trouble in uploading programming to a Single Head, Dual Band TK-730H/830H radio setup. We are installing this system in a Mobile Command Post for our Search & Rescue Squad. I'll list what the conditions are so maybe someone can help, please?
The radio set came as a Single Head Basic 99 channel Dual Band.
We changed the head to a Full-Feature 160 channel Alphanumeric but didn't know about changing the chips in the radios.
We up loaded some frequencies and the unit works except it only shows alphanumeric display for the first two groups.
The radio will no longer download or upload any data.
We now have the chip set (KCH-5) but haven't installed them in the radios yet.
Our questions are:
How can we "reset" the unit so it will download and upload again?
Will installing the KCH-5 chips correct the problem?
Any help in getting us back on the right track would be great.
Thanks, Steve.
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

If it is trying to read and write but you get an error,the chips may fix it.
Be sure that you do the resistor changes.
mod
ka7wnf

730/830

Post by ka7wnf »

If the radio was a 9 channel already then the radio drawers have the correct chips. It sound like you don't have the right chip in the KCH-4 head, or the resistor wasn't pulled off.
Bobcat

Post by Bobcat »

OK, I'll check the KCH-4 head chip and resistor removal. I was thinking that the head would already have the 160 channel chip but after looking at the options, maybe not?
What would happen if I remove and reinstall the chips from the head and the radios? (also checking to see that the resistors were removed). Would an action like that clear any stored information? Or, is there some other way to start over?
Thanks.
America . . . Love It or, . . Leave IT!
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

Once you have it set up properly,you should be able to read and write over existing memory,no need to try and clear anything.
mod
Bobcat

Post by Bobcat »

Makes sense. We have two chips in hand and another two in the mail. How can I tell if the existing chips in the units are what I need? It seems that the OEM chips are no longer made and all we could get was aftermarket. Would it be better to change out each chip at the same time? The one in the head and the one in each radio?
OR am I just making things hard on myself?
I guess what I worried about is getting to a point where nothing works and the radio will have no programming.
The reason for all of the questions is simple. We live in a small county and the local Kenwood dealer never messed with the TK-730 or TK-830 radios because no one here could afford them when they were new. So, you folks on this board are our best source for help.
Thank you for your help.
Steve.
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

I reread your original post....
If you originally had a 99 channel dual band setup and all you changed was an alpha head....you need a to remove the 24c04 chip(on the head),install a 24c16,remove r156 on the control unit(radio,should already be done) remove r33 on the display head.
new or old chips don't matter,after this is done you should be able to read and write again,don't forget programming mode, first by powering up with the bottom left button held till program shows then release the buttons.
mod
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

I forgot to add..you will have to write a new program to tell it it is a dual band fullfeateres with full feature head,when you try to dump this in the radio it will say model mismatch continue? reset the programming mode by pressing the bottom button second from left then say ok
It will take the program,you can reset and read to verify.
mod
ka7wnf

chips

Post by ka7wnf »

Take a look at your chips. If you have 24C04 chips then you have the smaller ones. If you have 24C16 then you have the 160 channel chips that you want. Pulling them out and replacing them does not erase them. Hope this helps. Peter.
Bobcat

Post by Bobcat »

Thanks for everyone's help. We have a maiden operation with the Bus this coming Saturday. If I have the courage I will look into the chip change before. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Again, thank you.
Steve.
Bobcat

Post by Bobcat »

OK, I worked up some courage and made the fix. The display head needed the X24C16P chip installed and the R-33 resister removed.
The UHF radio had the X24C16P chip but still had the R-156.
The VHF also had the X24C16P chip and didn't have the R-156.
However, one leg of the chip was not in the socket.
Anyway, after some head shaking and realizing that Radio mechanics can be as bad as Auto mechanics, the job is done. Everything works fine, just like you said.
I want to thank you very much for your help.
Steve.
BTW, I have another question about a Dual Band radio that I'll post under another topic
ka7wnf

chips

Post by ka7wnf »

Glad to help!!
chuckie321

Somewhat related...

Post by chuckie321 »

I picked up a TK-730, 32 ch... When I got it, I could read it and write it just fine. I got the 24C16 chips, cut R156 and R33, and had some issues (all the characters on the display lit up on regular turn-on, but it still went into program mode). Whenever i went to read it, it would just say "ERROR" on the radio. I would hit the 2nd button to get it back into prog mode and it would just say "ERROR" again if I tried to read it or write it. I got a new eprom burned, but I still can't program it... It doesn't give me a model/type mismatch, but I cannot read it or write it with a 160ch program. Any ideas? Thanks much,

Brian
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

Are you sure the 24c16 IC's are inserted correctly? as in pin 1 where pin 1 should go? also that none of the pins bent on install?
mod
chuckie321

Post by chuckie321 »

The dot marks pin 1, correct? One of the pins did get bent when I pulled the chip to check for correct seating, but I straightened it out (and yes, I do understand the concept of static discharge :wink: ) and stuck it back in.
Brian