TK-760G Scanning Features

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

Jim1348

TK-760G Scanning Features

Post by Jim1348 »

Can anyone tell me more about the scanning functions of the Kenwood TK-760G? Specifically, can groups be set up so that I can scan group 1 and group 6 or is it an all or nothing proposition.
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

I according to the Kenwood service manual there are 2 scan types:

"Single Group Scan" You can scan all valid (ADD) channels in the displayed group selected with the group up/down key."

"Multiple Group Scan" You can scan all valid (ADD) channels in all valid (ADD) groups."

What I do not know is if you can add/delete groups for multiple group scan from the front panel D/A key like you do with channels. It can be done in software or programming mode. I can find nothing in either the service or users manual about if or how you can do this with the D/A key.

I only use single group scan so I have never tried the multiple feature.
Starion

Post by Starion »

First off, the Kenwood TK-760G and 860-G are similar in every way aside from the 760G being VHF and 860G being UHF.

Since these radios are both capable of up to 128 channels, you obviously need to have at least 2 channels programmed to have the "scan" feature work. You need to be sure that the channels are not set to be locked out of the scan list. Scanning starts at the current channel and follows an ascending order.

Via the software you need to activate the A/D (add/delete) feature on each channel. If activated by your dealer, the user then can selectively ADD the channel to the scan list or you can decide to DELETE the channel off the scan list.

Once the channel is stopped you can selectively ADD or DELETE the channel off the list. But if you are in the SCAN mode and come upon a channel that is active, naturally the radio will stop and listen to that particular channel and once the transmission is over it will resume scanning. If you were to hit the A/D button while temporarily stopped on an active channel, the action will act as a NUISANCE DELETE. It acts as a temporary delete but can be placed back on the scan list automatically once the radio's scan feature is stopped. I know it sounds a bit confusing. :eeek:

If the dealer prgrammed a PRIORITY channel in the radio, the scanning will go about its normal routine but will selectively go back and listen for activity on the PRIORITY channel. Naturally if there's activity on the PRIORITY channel it will revert to it and monitor the channel. After the PRIORITY traffic is over the scanning will resume. Activation of the PRIORITY channel will over ride the normal scanning even if the radio has stopped to listen to CH 5 t will go back to look at the PRIORITY channel. This LOOKBACK feature (time and frequency) can be programmed by the dealer.

Pretty complicated but the question could probably better better answered by asking what YOU would like the radio to do. In that way, you can configure the radio to act the way you prefer. Hopefully I can steer you in the right direction.

Starion
Vern

Post by Vern »

k2hz wrote:"Multiple Group Scan" You can scan all valid (ADD) channels in all valid (ADD) groups."

What I do not know is if you can add/delete groups for multiple group scan from the front panel D/A key like you do with channels. It can be done in software or programming mode. I can find nothing in either the service or users manual about if or how you can do this with the D/A key.
On the TK 790, hold the A/D button down until the group scan indicator is either on or off. This is an arrow , similar to the arrow used to indicate whether or not a single channel is added or deleted. Perhaps this works in the 760 as well. Multiple group scan must be enabled in the software for this to work

Vern
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

Vern wrote:[
On the TK 790, hold the A/D button down until the group scan indicator is either on or off. This is an arrow , similar to the arrow used to indicate whether or not a single channel is added or deleted. Perhaps this works in the 760 as well. Multiple group scan must be enabled in the software for this to work

Vern
It sounds like something like this might work on the 760. I don't use groups so I don't have an easy way to try it without starting from scratch to set up a radio with multiple groups programmed and multiple group scan enabled. The 760 uses an "A" in the upper right corner of the display to indicate an active scan channel. There is no provision on the 760 display that I am aware of for any separate group scan indication.

Unfortunately, I can't find anything in either the operating instructions or the service manual that says anything about Multiple Group Scan other than what I quoted. The operating instructions say almost nothing about groups other than the group may be selected by the group up/down keys if this function has been enabled.

Multiple or single group scan can be enabled in the KPG-56D programming software but I do not see it on the Self Programming Mode menu. It makes you wonder if this feature is fully implemented but not documented or if does not really work on the '60 series like it does on the '90 series.

We probably have Jim1348 really confused by now. Sorry I can't come up with a better answer. Is there anyone out there that uses the Multiple Group Scan feature on a '60 series? Everything Starion wrote is correct as far as scanning in single group mode is concerned but it does not answer the multiple group scan question.