TK-370: Field Programming Problem

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

DPL

TK-370: Field Programming Problem

Post by DPL »

I hope this hasn't been asked before, but I searched all over and can't find an answer...

I have a TK-370 (32CH model) that I am trying to program from the keypad. I found the instructions on the 'net but they just plain don't work on this radio. I hold the top side button plus the display button and turn the radio on and nothing happens (meaning: the radio acts normal).

I saw something on Google Groups search to the effect of there being a "user program" setting in the software. Is that what I am dealing with?

So, I guess it boils down to: do I have to use the software to program this radio (or at least set the "user program" setting), or is there some sort of hardware reset/mod that can be done to make this radio field programmable?

Thanks,

-DPL
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

There are 2 things necessary to allow "Self Programming Mode" (keypad programming):

In most models, diode D17 must be removed.

Self Programming Mode must be enabled in software.
Starion

Post by Starion »

Keep in mind that is very typical for many of the field-programmable units that Kenwood LMR radios to have done.

It's usually a hardware modification (snip a diode or placing a zero jumper in place) and "ENABLEing" the software so such sequence can place the radio in program mode.

Unfortunately there isn't a reliable source of information available for Kenwood mods. Many private folks have craeted cheat-sheets on what can be done. I haven't seen anything official from Kenwood directly.

Starion
DPL

Post by DPL »

Thanks for the replies, guys.

-DPL