TK-272 programming trick?

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

KF4SQB

TK-272 programming trick?

Post by KF4SQB »

Has anyone else ever seen/tried this trick? A friend of mine, entirely by accident, discovered this a few days ago. He programmed his TK-272G with an older version of KPG56 software, that doesn't support the 272. The software read it OK, but reported it as a different model, a UHF in fact. While it reported it as a UHF, it still let him put VHF frequencies into it, and treated it as a 160 channel radio. He was even able to program the radio with it, and put the 160 channel codeplug into the radio. We're not sure exactly how many channels it will let you put in, but he does have over the regular 32 channels allowed by the 272 programmed into it, and they are accessable, and work properly. The only obvious problem is that if you save the codeplug to disk, and try to read it back, it reports that the codeplug is corrupted. As far as reading from/writing to the radio, everything seems to work OK so far. If anyone wants more info, let me know, and I'll check with him and get the details. Happy modding! 8)
Brett Kitchens
KF4SQB

kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most.......
transistor747

Post by transistor747 »

I think that shooting a TK-270 codeplug into a 272 will do what you are talking about..give it 160 channels. I've heard about it, but never done it.
I do know that Kenwood will not repair a 272 that this has been done to.
Sam
transistor747

Post by transistor747 »

I think that shooting a TK-270 codeplug into a 272 will do what you are talking about..give it 160 channels. I've heard about it, but never done it.
I do know that Kenwood will not repair a 272 that this has been done to.
Sam
KF4SQB

Post by KF4SQB »

Won't repair it? Interesting. I wonder what their reasoning behind that is. I may be wrong, but I don't think it was a 270 codeplug my friend put into it, but I could be wrong. I think it was a 3XX something. I do know it was a UHF.
Brett Kitchens
KF4SQB

kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most.......
Wes

Post by Wes »

We always use the KPG-56D software to program TK-272, TK-372 portables. These portables are advertised as 32 channel radios, but will take the 128 channels exactly like a TK-270G or TK-370G. When we program them like this, they always work fine, without any issues with reading and writing.

These radios will not take 160 channels, just 128.

Wes
Wes Hutchens
wch36@yahoo.com
911 Telecommunicator / 2-Way Tech.
Mount Airy & Winston-Salem/Forsyth County, NC
http://www.ra-techservices.com