TK-272G read only, unable to program

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

Falfire122

TK-272G read only, unable to program

Post by Falfire122 »

I am interested in changing one of the keys that have no function into a key lock. I am also trying to add a couple of channels. I can read the radio and edit all of the functions, however when I go to program it the radio will display -PC- but displays check connection message. Cable is brand new along with the software, I am using kpg56D version 4 software. I am new to all of this, finished programming my TK-730 which worked great. Is there something I am missing?? thanks for any help in advance, -Will
azFIREguy

Post by azFIREguy »

is this a ebay cable?
Sex at age 90 is like trying to shoot pool with a rope
Starion

Post by Starion »

Some aftermarket cables have been problematic with many users trying to program Kenwood radios. I have both aftermarket and OEM cables and the OEM tends to work better.

All programming using the software you mentioned is done on computers running WIN95 and WIN98. Processing speeds on newer computers are reported to be causing lots of problems when attempting to transfer data.

You may want to see if you can *read* from the radio first, then *write* to the radio. Once you're able to get the data to transfer without problems, try to enter frequency info on the saved file and re *write* back to the radio.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Falfire122

Post by Falfire122 »

yes it is an ebay cable, the end for this radio says Kenwood on it. I am using windows XP, is there a way to use an older version of windows to do this? We have an old computer that might still work that has windows 95 or 98 on it, I'll try it on there and see what happens,
azFIREguy

Post by azFIREguy »

try the other computer and use pure dos not a dos window
Sex at age 90 is like trying to shoot pool with a rope
Falfire122

Post by Falfire122 »

I get a ERROR "KPG56D LNG" message when I try to use it in dos mode? any ideas, I tried to operate the program in compatibility mode, still no luck, any ideas?
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

It sounds like you are trying to use xp,this won't work at all.
Plug in a 1.44 floppy,right click on your floppy drive and chose to make a dos boot disk
Restart your xp machine with that floppy plugged in,this will give you an A prompt,switch over to c: and install your soft ware,after that you can easily program on your xp machine by plugging in that floppy.
mod