tk-760 power & programming question

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

moschi

tk-760 power & programming question

Post by moschi »

so i'm pretty new to radios. i've used them quite a bit through fire depts, but i just got one of my own. it's a kenwood tk-760 like the one shown below.

i got it used, so i have no manuals or anything on it. whenever i plug it in, it just consistently beeps, and if i press the power button, it will stop the beeping, but the radio stays on & i can scroll through the channels. is there a way to fix this? & secondly, i saw that the 760g's are programmable from the panel. is this one the same, & if so does anyone know how to program it or where to find directions.

thanks a lot.

Splat

Post by Splat »

It was probably setup for ignition-sensed on/off or via power switch. If you can get the programming s/w for it you can set it up how you want it.

This pertains to the TK-840 but you might have the same problem. This was a reply from Glengling:
"The on/off circuit is a flip/flop that pulses and then operates a pass transistor. These have been know to fail in the on position, that is the pass transistor. If you have a manual go find the pass transistor (on the bottom of the main board near where the Bplus lead enters the board. Check and see if the Base goes high/low with the on/off switch. If it does then you have a bad pass transistor...just replace it. BTW it's a SMT device that is larger than any of the other transistors or diodes."
Starion

Post by Starion »

I'm not sure what you mean by "it just consistently beeps". If you power up the radio, it can be programmed to generate a confirmation beep to indicate power on condition. Just one "beep".

There are times if the data programmed in the radio are NOT acceptable (as in programming out-of-range frequencies that the radio can't handle)
the radio will continuously beep indicating to the user that that particular channel is not going to work.

There's also a software setting where you can set the minimum start up audio. This will auto-set your volume upon turning on the radio as per your preference. If you provide a little more detail, maybe there's an easy solution.

The Kenwood TK-760 and the TK760G are really TWO distictively differenent radios. Unfortunately it's easy to assume that since the model number is very similar, that theses radio models are somewhat similar.
The TK-760/860 series are field programmable (front-buttons) by doing a physical modification to the radio (adding a zero jumper across 2 points on the circuit board behind the LCD display) and the need to change the software programming to "enable" the field programming sequence.

I haven't investigated whether the "G" series are also modifiable. Maybe someone on the board can provide an answer.

Starion