TK 730 scan

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

Railroad Joe

TK 730 scan

Post by Railroad Joe »

Hello!! I'm new to the group and I own a TK 730 VHF Hi band dual head radio in my car. I recently(tonight) learned how to program it with my lap top, software & cable. My problem is after programming the radio with new frequencies, the radio will not scan. It did before I played with the programming. Could someone help me turn the scan feature back on?? Thanks much!!

Regards,
Joe
nmfire10

Post by nmfire10 »

Did you write a whole new program from scratch or read the radio first and make changes? You probely need to go into the button programming menu and set the given button for SCAN.
Railroad Joe

Post by Railroad Joe »

Well, I 1st read the program and made changes, I forgot to add in an alpha name to 1 frequency, so I made the change and reprogrammed the radio. Thats when I discovered that the scan wasn't working anymore. After kicking myself in the rear end, I decided to start from a fresh menu and reinstall & rearrange my frequency list. That didnt help. Also, after reading the reply here, I checked the software and there is nothing on menu that says "button programming" Are you talking about key selection?? Thanks much!!
azFIREguy

Post by azFIREguy »

did you enable scan on the channels you want to scan?
Sex at age 90 is like trying to shoot pool with a rope
ka7wnf

scan

Post by ka7wnf »

Go to edit, then key selection. But the scan key should be enabled by default. Also go to edit/scan information and see if off hook scan is enabled or disabled. If disabled then it will only scan if the mike is in a grounded holder.
Railroad Joe

Post by Railroad Joe »

OK, I'm gonna be stupid, Motorola says enable/disable, Kenwood says yes/no, I'm ASSUMING(you know what happens when you assume!!) yes means enable & no means disable. In edit/feature option, Time out timer, 180 sec, Busy channel lockout(NO) OFF hook decode enable(YES) power tone on(YES) control tone(YES) warning tone(YES)roll over(YES) priority temporary delete(NO) TX audio monitor(NO) operator selectable tone(hit enter to program) I tried the last suggestion to say yes to off hook decode, didnt change a thing. I'm at a loss now. Yes, I did enable all the channels that I want to scan. Thanks for all the help so far though!!
ka7wnf

scan

Post by ka7wnf »

Go to edit/scan information and tell us what the settings are.
Railroad Joe

scan

Post by Railroad Joe »

Here is the edit/scan information: priority 1 operator selectable, priority 2 operator selectable, group scan single, resume time 0.8 sec, look back time A 350 msec, look back time B 2050 msec, revert channel P1>P2>selected ch

Model settings: full 32ch>dual control head>vhf hi>150-174>NO voice scrambler unit.

Anything else??

Is it possible that something physical in the radio itself "burned out"?? I know it's unlikely, but it is man made.

Thanks a bunch!!

Regards,
Joe
ka7wnf

scan

Post by ka7wnf »

In edit/scan information is off hook scan set to on or off?

The off hook decode only determines whether it will need PL to open the receiver depending on mike on hook or not.

Also I will PM you my email address. Send me a copy of the file. It should end in .F37 or something like that.
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

If you have more than one group,you need to enable scan on a per group basis..I forget where that option is located.
mod
Railroad Joe

scan

Post by Railroad Joe »

Thanks for the replies. To answer questions, both groups are enabled, 1 group has 15 channels enabled to scan, the other group has 6 channels to scan. Still no work. Frustrating. Thanks again!!

Joe
Boomer740

Post by Boomer740 »

Try hanging up the microphone in a grounded hanger. Like ka7wnf alluded to, some radios are set up so that the scan featureee only works when the mic is on hook. You can disable that feature in software, but I don't have the software in front of me to give you step by step instructions on how to do it.

Let us know what happens.

Paul
Railroad Joe

scan

Post by Railroad Joe »

Nope, changing the location of the microphone doesnt help either. It worked before. I have sent ka7wnf a file of my program, he changed 2 things in it, sent it back to me, I tried it, still no luck. I'm really beginning to believe there is something wrong with the radio itself. I even changed location of the scan button, nothing. Even tried scanning from the rear control head. My problem now is that when I bought the car, there was no key for the radio(which is mounted underneath the back seat, it is in a Ford Expedition). So its either call a good friend who is a locksmith or destroy the lock. If there is something wrong with the radio itself, what should I be listening for when I inquire to a radio repair person of my problem, so I don't get the shaft. Thanks for all your help!!

Regards,
Joe
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

Joe,don't destroy the lock! PM me your mail address and I will mail you a key.
mod