Using 'Operator Selectable Tone' on TK-630

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

KF4SQB

Using 'Operator Selectable Tone' on TK-630

Post by KF4SQB »

I'm trying to set up a couple of TK-630's with KCH-3 heads, and can't figure out how to get the operator selectable tone to work. I have the 'OPT' key programmed for that function, and a tone list programmed, but I can't figure out how to access the list to select a tone from it. I also have the 'MON' key programmed as user selectable squelch. Are the two features mutually exclusive, ie. would I have to set the 'MON' key back to monitor to get the selectable tone to work?
Brett Kitchens
KF4SQB

kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most.......
Birken Vogt

Post by Birken Vogt »

It has been a while since I've used one but I think you either had to hold down the OST button for some period of time or hold the SCN key while pushing the OST button. Or maybe it was the MON key. Anyway it was a really dumb thing. When you get it right "CODE x" comes up on the display and you rotate the channel knob to change it.

Birken
Boomer740

Post by Boomer740 »

<nods in agreement>

Hold down the SCAN key, press the OPT (OST) button, and then release both. CODE x should appear in the display and be selectable 1 through 16, corresponding to the 16 entries you made in your CTCSS table.

Your OST function and programming the MON button for selectable squelch should not be exclusive. I have several TK-630s set up that way.

Paul
KF4SQB

Post by KF4SQB »

While we're at it here, I've got another question about these radios (I'm new to them, I'm mostly a /\/\otorola man). I'm assuming that simply grounding the hang-up button on that back of the mic puts it in a "hung-up" state. If this is correct, is it normal for the squelch to open completely with the mic hung up, a tone selected, and the operator adjustable squelch turned down? I would expect it to not open it this state unless it received the proper tone. Also, I can't get scan to work. The D/A button and SCN button don't seem to do anything at all, and they are programmed for their default functions. If this were a Motorola radio, I'd say the mic wasn't racked. Think maybe I have a problem with the hang-up line in the mic cord or something?
Brett Kitchens
KF4SQB

kk6rq

Post by kk6rq »

For the SCAN function, do you have both the channel (GRP) AND
the zone (SYSTEM) arrows displaying? That screwed me up for a few days
when I got my first 630 installed.... in other words, both the mode and
zone have to be in the scan list (in Moto-Speak).

ps. Appy Polly Lodgies if I got any of my descriptive words wrong....
KF4SQB

Post by KF4SQB »

"Groups" would only apply if I had a KCH-4 ("advanced") control head. I'm running the KCH-3 ("basic") control head, which doesn't support 'groups'. It supports 99 channels, if upgraded, which it is, but all 99 channels are in one big group, so to speak.
Brett Kitchens
KF4SQB