tk 630 volume trouble

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

tyler557us

tk 630 volume trouble

Post by tyler557us »

Hello all,I have a tk 630 that is giving me a volume problem.With the volume turned completely up it is not really loud enough to hear.The ext.speaker is coming off the radio head and the deck its self has the speaker plug in the back.I checked the software for a minimum volume setting like I found on the kpg-59d for the tk 6110,but did not see one.Any ideas on how to fix the problem is greatly appreciated.
Meatball

Post by Meatball »

If the speaker audio is low off the head, you can either change a couple of jumpers in the head, or take the speaker audio off the back of the radio.

According to the service manual, if you short jumper W106 (next to CN101) on the control board, and solder in jumper W10 on the control head, this will increase the audio from the remote head from 5W to 10W. It's always set at 5W from the factory in case you are using the internal speaker in the KCH-3 head (it won't handle 10W).

Alternatively, you can remove the jumper from pin 9 and 12 of the radio speaker connector and attach your remote speaker to pins 6 and 12.
tyler557us

Post by tyler557us »

Thanks for the info.I'll give it a try
Meatball

Post by Meatball »

I'd try taking the speaker audio from the back of the radio just for an experiment to see if it fixes the problem. You could even take the connector off and temporarily plug the speaker wires into the proper pins. If the audio is still weak, then I'd say the radio has a problem with the audio stage. If this fixes it, you can then modify the head or permenantly take the audio from the back of the radio.

You can see the pin numbers on the molex connectors if you hold it up to the light at the right angle. The tiny numbers are embossed in the nylon.

Good luck.
tyler557us

Post by tyler557us »

Thanks again.Before I try that the radio has the full feature head and one of the buttons was programmed as the speaker switch.It was like that when I received it and after reprogramming I never thought anything about it.I figured it would clear the old after rewriting the new.Could that be part of the problem?Thanks again and any info is greatly appreciated
Meatball

Post by Meatball »

That radio comes with a programmable external speaker switch, which when activated, takes speaker audio off a different set of pins. Unless you plan to have a second speaker tied to that switch, you can delete the SPK swtich from the programming. It won't affect the operation of the regular speaker.
tyler557us

Post by tyler557us »

Thanks again.I hooked a speaker from the back of the deck and it was louder than off the radio head.I went ahead and plugged the connection from the radio head and am using the speaker from the deck.Again,thanks for being of assistance.Really appreciate it.