Help with TK-730 No power

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

stangmansvo

Help with TK-730 No power

Post by stangmansvo »

Hello all

I just got in a TK-730 remote mount radio and doesnt power up.
I checked for ign W104 & its original intact but I found W102 had bad cut.

Anyone with recommendations !!
steve :o
Im a certified radio holic !
stangmansvo

Post by stangmansvo »

I also found out the 8 pin eprom didnt match up in the control head & radio.

control head was a x24c04p (32ch) & the radio had a x24c16p (160ch)

would this cause the radio not to power up ?

stangmansvo

Post by stangmansvo »

Hi all ,

Need help ASAP !

I found W102 had been cut (unknown reason) and a mismatch with the IC chips between the head & radio. One is a 32ch chip (radio) & the control head is a 160ch chip. Anyways, When I power up the radio I get a blinking display with " Gp 1 CH1" and when I go to read/write it goes to "ERROR".

Anyone have an idea on the fix ?????
Boomer740

Post by Boomer740 »

Hello Steve -

First things first. Because your radio deck has W102 cut open, I think it used to be the "# 2" radio in a dual band setup.

You can confirm this by looking at IC108 of the TX/RX board. This is the same board that W102 is on, IC108 will be on the opposite end of that board. It is a 28 lead device. In stock (non-dual-band configuration) radios this chip should have the letters "FAA" written on it. I'm guessing yours has "FAC", the chip designation for a "# 2" radio in a dual-band configuration.

Additionally, there is probably a jumper wire on this same board connecting a pad labeled "C" (next to W102) with a pad labeled "A" near the cable connectors at the front of the board.

If it is a dual-band # 2 deck, and you want to make this a stock radio deck, you need to do three things:
1) Remove that jumper from pad "A" to pad "C"
2) Reconnect W102
3) Find an FAA chip somewhere and remove the current chip at IC108, replacing it with the FAA chip.

In an otherwise stock system the difference in memory chips can be overcome with programming, except that your radio system will be limited to the smallest memory capacity, in your case the control head. You can program a deck that is capable of 160 channel capacity to a head that is limited to 32, but the system will only allow 32 channels.

You might be able to find someone on the forums here that has a 160 channel chip for your control head, and / or the FAA chip for your deck. I have niether at this time, although I may eventually be able to scare up an FAA chip.

The display you get when you power up indicates the radio is either un-programmed or that the data in the control head doesn't match the data in the deck. What are you doing when the radio displays "ERROR", reading from it or writing to it? Do you get any messages on your computer?

You can clear the "ERROR" display on your control head by pressing the second (from the left) of the four buttons below the display window.

To be honest, until your deck has an FAA chip in it, I don't know if you can program the system or not...

Let us know what happens. Good luck!

Paul
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

early firmware FAA,FAB and FAC,were critical.Later versions were backwards compatable,the newest version firmware supports all setups.Try to program yours as it may work.
mod
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

I just did a re read...the memory chips must match or the software will give an error.
mod
stangmansvo

Post by stangmansvo »

Thanks
I read some of the past posts & found that out !
I ordered several from Jameco and waiting for them .
steve