TK 790/890 Dual band/dual head questions

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

llu727

TK 790/890 Dual band/dual head questions

Post by llu727 »

Does anyone have any reference to the operation of 790/890 dual band radio?
I ran into my first dual band one today at work and cant seem to find anything on the way it is suppossed to work.
I basically have two questions:
1: When selected on the UHF group, should I be able to hear selected channel from the VHF side?
and
2: Should you be able to scan acrossed the two radios? The way it works now, you scan whatever radio group is selected.

I've done quite a bit of work on these radios single band, but this is my first dual band, and cant find any info on proper operation.

Any help or aiming in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bruce
Screen. Mind. Both are blank
dmonty83

Post by dmonty83 »

Bruce...

You dual band TK-7/890 should function seeminglessly. Within the programming software, it should be setup for dual band radio operation. Doing this allows you to program both VHF and UHF channels into one bank. As far as being able to scan multiple banks...Within the 'Scan Information' window, the Group Scan option needs to be set to multi. If you are only able to scan across one bank, more than likely that is set to single.

David
llu727

TK7/890

Post by llu727 »

Thanks David, I sort of figured that it wasnt set up right.
The way it is programmed now, all of the UHF freqs are in group 1 and VHF in group 2. Are you saying that they can be combined into one group?

I will look at the group scan thing and see about that.

Thanks for the great info.. love the radio, just never got into dual band. It looks like the repeater function should be interesting too!

Bruce
KK5FM

Post by KK5FM »

A nifty thing about these radios is that you aren't limited to 16 channels in a bank (or zone, or group) like some other radios are...
dmonty83

Post by dmonty83 »

Yes you can combine both UHF and VHF-High frequencies into one bank. I agree these are pretty cool radios but they nedd to do an upgrade to them. IMHO they need three things changed.

1. Different LCD with a wider viewing angle.
2. Add Advance FleenSync features, like decoding
3. Make them triband cabable, why not??

Other than that...I good with the current config.

Any other questions, let me know.

Have Fun!

David
llu727

Post by llu727 »

David
Thanks for the info... after a couple of years of never seeing a dual band, I wound up with three of them in the shop at one time. One actually was programmed by someone that know what they were doing.

Your info on the group scan solved my problem and being able to mix bands in a group made things easier for the user.

I agree on your comments about the display. Fleetsync isnt used around here, its heavy MDC, so never did much with that. Tri-band would be cute, but it would have to be 800 for my area! Low band you would be talking to yourself!!

Once again, thanks for sharing your knowledge.. thats what makes these boards so great.

Bruce
dmonty83

Post by dmonty83 »

Your welcome...and yes these boards are full of helpful info.

David