tk 350 portables, help with programming please!

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

brokenbowhunting

tk 350 portables, help with programming please!

Post by brokenbowhunting »

I am trying to program a couple of TK 350, UHF radios. I am using the kpg23d file. I can't read the radio, in fact it acts like I am not even connected to the radio. Is there a trick to put the radio in the program mode, like some of the other Kenwood radios? Thanks for your time to help, DD
kwradioguy

Post by kwradioguy »

Here you go:

HOW TO ENTER EACH MODE OF PROGRAMMING
MODE KEYS TO PRESS TO ENTER FUNCTION

USER MODE POWER ON
PC PROGRAMMING MODE [LAMP] + [LO] + TURN POWER ON (HOLD KEYS DOWN FOR 2 SECONDS)
CLONE MODE [PC MODE] + [D/A] KEY
TEST MODE [LAMP] + [D/A] + TURN POWER ON (HOLD KEYS DOWN FOR 2 SECONDS)
NOTE: TEST MODE MUST BE ENTERED BEFORE FIELD PROGRAMMING MODES CAN BE ENTERED

PC PROGRAMMING MODE
TO ENTER THE PC PROGRAMMING MODE HOLD DOWN THE [LAMP] AND [LO] KEYS AND TURN THE POWER
SWITCH ON. (HOLD DOWN THE KEYS FOR AT LEAST 2 SECONDS) WHEN THE PC MODE IS ENTERED, “-PC-”
IS DISPLAYED ON THE LCD.
· WHEN DATA IS TRANSMITTING FROM THE TRANSCEIVER TO THE COMPUTER,
THE RED LED GOES ON.
· WHEN DATA IS BEING TRANSMITTED FROM THE COMPUTER TO THE RADIO THE GREEN LED GOES ON.
NOTES:
· DO NOT CONNECT THE INTERFACE CABLE IN THE NORMAL RECEIVE MODE .
· THE DATA STORED IN THE PERSONAL COMPUTER MUST MATCH VHF, UHF, AND IF WHEN IT IS WRITTEN INTO
THE E2PROM.
· DO NOT PRESS THE [PTT] KEY DURING DATA TRANSMISSION OR RECEPTION.
brokenbowhunting

Post by brokenbowhunting »

thanks a lot for the help, I will try that tomorrow night, and let you know if it worked. dd
sargeek

more

Post by sargeek »

OK - Having similar difficulty programing a tk-250 - Computer has difficulty in communicating with the radio - I was able to down load from the radio once, but unable to upload the new information.

So here goes the questions:
1) How important is it to run the computer off a DOS boot disk?
2) How do you find out the exact radio information reguarding the radio to use in the software - I know I have the 128 Channel version.
3) How important is it to use a kenwood cable? I have a cheap e-bay verison, so could this be problematic?
4) I have multiple versions of the software, so what version is the best?

Any other tricks of the trade I should know to make this easy?

Thanks in advance
kwradioguy

Post by kwradioguy »

So here goes the questions:
1) How important is it to run the computer off a DOS boot disk?

VERY important. KPG-23D while it might run in a DOS window really wants to run in full DOS on an OLD (READ: Slow) machine. I used a 486/66 PII and ti worked fine.

2) How do you find out the exact radio information reguarding the radio to use in the software - I know I have the 128 Channel version.

Select the model menu. In there you should be able to select TK250 32 channel, TK250 160 channel, etc.

3) How important is it to use a kenwood cable? I have a cheap e-bay verison, so could this be problematic?
I used an after market cable (actually one I built) and all was fine. But, YMMV
4) I have multiple versions of the software, so what version is the best?

I can't really answer that question. That maybe be tied to the serial number of the radio. That is, as production went on radios MAY have required updated SW. Some vendor's radios will become "brick" if you use the wrong SW version. I don't think you will have that problem with a KW radio.

Good Lucn
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

FYI,
TK250/350/250G/350G,will do either mode 32 or 160 channel,so program it as you need.(I don't like groups in the 160 setup)
mod