TK730H Speaker pinouts without remote head

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

dgemmill

TK730H Speaker pinouts without remote head

Post by dgemmill »

Hi all,
I am new to these radios and I purchased 2 TK730H's with Remote Heads. When I took them to get programmed I was told the remote heads were not the correct ones and would only work connected directly to the main radio. My problem now is I don't know where or what pins to connect for the Kenwood Speaker. Can anyone provide me with some insight?
Thanks
DLG
n5tbu

Re: TK730H Speaker pinouts without remote head

Post by n5tbu »

Bull! if those heads will work on the radio,they will work remotely as well!
Give more details and we will get you set up
mod
dgemmill

Post by dgemmill »

Hi and thanks for your reply. As I mentioned, I am a rookie. What kind of info can I provide? Pictures speak a 1,000 works would that help?
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

You apparently have an ALPHA head with no built-in speaker I am guessing?
If you have all the parts to remote mount the unit,it should work.
The speaker output can be off the rear plug of the head or on the rear of the deck.
Let us know just what you have and what you would like to do.
mod
dgemmill

Post by dgemmill »

Well the Head unit was a separate remote part when I received it. There are no distinguishing numbers on the head unit or the back plate PCI removed to connect it directly to the radio. There is a 6 pin connector off the back of the Remote Head Units back plate that was removed when they connected it directly to the deck. I believe it is where the remote speaker would have connected.

The Head unit has from left to right a 1. Power Button, 2. Up & Dwn buttons, 3. 2 round knobs for selection frequency and channels respectively I would assume, 4. “AN” button, 5. “D/A” button, 6. Button with no label, 7. HC button, 8. Mon button, & finally 9. SCN button.

The front that was removed from the main radio to install the head unit has KRK-4DB on it and next to a connection hole says “to radio” and “34580” below it if that means anything to you.

For right now, my main goal is to find the correct 15 pin connector for the rear of the deck and which pins I would connect the remote Kenwood Speaker to get it in my car and working. In the future I may want to try to put the Remote heads back together and get them working, but for now just baby steps.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

Ok,the 15 pin plug is a standard MOLEX ,available from most electronics supply stores
speaker low to pin 6,speaker hi to pin 12 ( speaker low is a floating ground,so do not connect it to any thing grounded)
That "DB" front radio cover was for a dual band setup (2 decks) and that is prob why the shop couldn't set it up as a remote mount.
mod
dgemmill

Post by dgemmill »

Thanks a ton!
One last beginner question. On the speaker wire which is the Speaker low and which is speaker high? There is a black wire and a black with white stripe.
Thanks again for all of your help and support!
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

Glad to help...the black with the white stripe is speaker hi.
mod
dgemmill

Post by dgemmill »

Do you have any idea where in Southern California I can get the radio repaired? It appears that the power plug has a coule fried pins. I have taken it to PCI (a race radio place) but they are slow and focused on the races not the average consumer.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
DLG
dgemmill

Post by dgemmill »

I got the radio installed and it appears to be working. I want to put a fuse or Circuit Breaker in line to protect this radio. Can you tell me what size I should use or what amperage this radio draws?

Thanks for all of your help!
DLG
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

It should say the amp draw on the sticker...I seem to remember it was a 15 amp fuse for the "H" model.
mod