TK-730(G) Programming Issues

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

arosmith79

TK-730(G) Programming Issues

Post by arosmith79 »

Hey guys,

Having some difficulty programming my buddies radio. He picked it up on Ebay from a city govt. that had upgraded to 800mhz. I tried repeatedly to read or write the radio and all I am getting is error messages. Except for one time the display flashed "head 2" while it was trying to read/write. Is it safe to assume it was part of a dual band/dual head setup? From what I can tell so far about the radio.........it is a 32ch, full feature head, VHF 150-174 w/n band. Any help would be greatly appreciated since most if not all of you have more experience with these radios than I do. Thanks in advance.
Ranger Rick 302

Re: TK-730(G) Programming Issues

Post by Ranger Rick 302 »

Did you hold down the Home Channel (HC) button while turning the radio on?
- Aaron
ATF1224

Post by ATF1224 »

Was it from the City of Mesa?

A friend of mine got two that i'm working on now. In order to read/write you have to hold down the first button next to the channel selector while powering it on.

Also beware that after I did the 160ch upgrade the radios will no longer scan at all.
Jake
KI4ZEL
arosmith79

Post by arosmith79 »

Sorry I forgot to include this part......I can get it into programming mode but everytime it tries to program it either shows error on the screen or it says end then after powering the radio back on, all that is on the screen is a bunch of junk. Thanks for the replies so far.
ka7wnf

Post by ka7wnf »

Is the radio a dash mount or is it remote head with a cable? Pull the covers off and verify that the 8 pin EEPROM is still there. The easiest way for someone to deprogram the radio is to pull that EEPROM and toss it. Tell us what the 24 pin EPROM says on the label. That will tell us how the radio was configured.

FAA SINGLE BAND EPROM TK-630 TK-730 TK-830
FAD DUAL HEAD EPROM TK-630 TK-730 TK-830
FAB DUAL BAND RADIO 1 EPROM TK-630 TK-730 TK-830
FAC DUAL BAND RADIO 2 EPROM TK-630 TK-730 TK-830
ATF1224

Post by ATF1224 »

Are you trying to load in a 32ch codeplug or a 160ch codeplug? If you try to load a 160ch codeplug into a radio that only does 32ch the RSS will go through the 8K writing process and then show end, and all you will have on the screen are random characters.
arosmith79

Post by arosmith79 »

Trying to load the 32ch codeplug. Also checked to make sure the 8 pin EEPROM chip was in place and matched the chip in the head. The 24 pin EEPROM is an FAA so it is a single band setup. Also, while looking at a different 730 I realized that there is a white plug with a black jumper wire attached on the board that is not on the one I am having programming difficulties with. Is that jumper anything important??
cjk84

Post by cjk84 »

arosmith79 is talking about my radios i have 2 of them i have learned that you can erase the programming if your vehicle battery is weak and try starting, it will reset and display a bunch of jibberish

we were using his laptop that is older for programming and were having sever problems with my 1st radio not reading or writing so i figured i fried the eeprom, bought a new one still had jibberish and would not program

so i bought a 2nd radio
1st turned it on came up as gr1 ch1 on display and had 1 weather channel on it
tried to program and it also failed and came up with jibberish on screen
during one of the attempts to read it displayed head 2

i decided to try my laptop neither radio would read, kept saying model mismatch or com error but i tried programming them and suprisingly enough they took

if you cant program with and older computer use a newer one windows xp works fine

sorry this is so long but hopefully someone else can use what i learned