Programming a TK-240D

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

redbird

Programming a TK-240D

Post by redbird »

I need to program a TK-240D. My list says to use KPG-9D software and KPG-8 cable. My cable is a factory Kenwood KPG-22. Will the KPG-22 work? If not, is there anything to do other than buy another cable? Who sells a cheap cable for one time use?
ka7wnf

Re: Programming a TK-240D

Post by ka7wnf »

Actually the 240D can be programmed without software. By removing the sticker on the back and shorting the contacts in one of the holes it will enter programming mode when you turn it on. I don't have the exact details handy but you might find something with Google.
redbird

Post by redbird »

I need to delete 15 channels and reprogram the remaining channel. It might easier to use software. I will look for the user program instructions and see what they say.
redbird

Post by redbird »

I found the self programming instructions and they do not work for me. I tried to use my KPG 22 cable with KPG-9 and could not read the radio. Does the radio need to be put into a programming mode?
ka7wnf

Post by ka7wnf »

Now that I don't know. You could program all the channels the same. Would basically be a 1 chsnnel radio.
ohgary
Site Supporter

Post by ohgary »

Are you running it on an OLD slow pc under dos mode? If not thats your problem it will not run under winows dos
redbird

Post by redbird »

Yes, I have an old slow DOS computer for programming. I have learned that I must use the KPG-8 cable and that the cable requires a DC supply. Since I do not want to buy a cable, I am left with programming the radio with self programming. I have been told that self programming requires a jumper change in the radio. I can not find these jumpers. Anyone have a picture or instructions for finding the jumper.
ka7wnf

Post by ka7wnf »

The jumpers are accessible through the 4 holes at the top of the radio on the back. As I recall the 2nd one from the left allows you to enter the programming menu if you jump it while turning on the radio.
redbird

Post by redbird »

The tech help at Kenwood said to short the third hole from the antenna. The web says to short the second hole. ??? The tech say to move a jumper inside the radio. I can not find a moveable jumper inside. This enables the self program feature.
ka7wnf

Post by ka7wnf »

I have a 240D on my desk at work, when I get there I'll look at it and let you know exactly which hole it is.
ka7wnf

Post by ka7wnf »

Okay I finally got it. Short out the contacts in hole 1, the one closest to the channel selector. Display will show SEL. Press the DA button. (Pressing TA will enter the feature set menu.) Press PTT to step through each channel to see RX freq, RX PL, TX Freq (Red TX light will illuminate when on the TX freq setting), TX PL. Turn the channel selector to change the values and press PTT to save. Press the top side button and turn channel selector to scroll through the settings more quickly. Hold the bottom side key and turn channel selector to change frequency 1 Mhz per step.
redbird

Post by redbird »

Thanks a lot. I got the first radio programmed and it works good. The second one programmed and does not work. It will not transmitt or receive when PL is on. With PL off there is background noise and it will transmitt and receive. PL is set to correct frequency and there is not even a carrier on transmitt.
ka7wnf

Post by ka7wnf »

I had a 240 that acted very bizarre, turned out to have bad electrolytic capacitors. I replaced 2 and now it works great. Pull it apart and carefully inspect the caps. If you see any leakage around the base pull em off and replace them.
redbird

Post by redbird »

Is there a squelch adjustment on the 240?
ohgary
Site Supporter

Post by ohgary »

Are you programming it within the specs of the radio or trying to go into the ham bands? I found some 240D will not go into the ham bands some will. Usually you would need to shift the vco a bit to make them work in the ham bands.