TK-790 No Audio Output

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

aaknitt

TK-790 No Audio Output

Post by aaknitt »

Hello all,

I have a brand new VHF Dual Head TK-790 I'm trying to get going. My problem is that I'm not getting any audio out of the speaker. Actually if I put my ear right up to the speaker I can just barely hear the radio's output. This is the same whether I connect the speaker to the radio or the control head. I tried using the PA function and the output was almost inaudible there also. The radio came with KES-5 (40W) speakers instead of the normal KES-4, but I wouldn't think that would be a problem. Am I missing a jumper or something in the programming? Again, this is a brand new radio...I can't imagine the chances that the audio amp is fried are very high...what am I missing?

Thanks in advance,

Andy
aaknitt

Re: TK-790 No Audio Output

Post by aaknitt »

Doh! Found the problem. I was running the radio off of a battery while testing, and the battery voltage had dropped to about 9V, which is apparently too low for the audio amplifier to function. Hooked it up to a power supply and the power on beep darn near sent me through the roof...I had it turned up all the way and hooked up to the 13W output :-)

Andy