Kenwood G series

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

ozzpoppy

Kenwood G series

Post by ozzpoppy »

Can someone tell me what the G actually means as to K in Kenwood radios?
Andy Brinkley

Re: Kenwood G series

Post by Andy Brinkley »

"G" was a suffix added to indicate that the radio will do wide and narrow band via the software.

Some of the radios that come to mind are the TK-730 mobiles and the TK-250 series portables that were offered in a "G" and a non "G" model.
Andy

--------------------------------------------------------------
NC Certified Firefighter III / EMT-A
FCC Licensed Technician / Amateur Call NC4AB
http://www.brinkleyelectronics.com
westcoaster

Post by westcoaster »

Andy Brinkley wrote:"G" was a suffix added to indicate that the radio will do wide and narrow band via the software.

Some of the radios that come to mind are the TK-730 mobiles and the TK-250 series portables that were offered in a "G" and a non "G" model.

Hmmmm.....

My tk-760H will do wide and narrow band.... (and do it on a per channel basis)

Another guess would be alphanumeric display? (although tk-762H was only a two channel where a tk-762GH was an 8 channel radio with out alphanumeric display)
n9gik
Site Supporter

Post by n9gik »

I think (that's a dangerous phrase by the way :D ) the main difference in adding the "g" was narrowband, but not the only difference.

Here is an excerpt I found from when the "g" series was introduced. From http://www.aaradio.com.au/kenwoodhh.htm

Kenwood "G" Series Radios
The newly released Kenwood "G" Series handheld radios offer many features that are of benefit to two-way radio users. These features include the ability to include both wide and narrow band channels in the same radio, with this being programmed on a per channel basis. Kenwood radios meet or exceed many of the US Military specifications (MIL-SPEC) which are recognised as the highest possible radio specifications. With solid die-cast chassis and weather resistant seals, the Kenwood G Series radios offer excellent performance in a small compact radio unit.

Special features -
- Multi-mode channel bandwidth
- Compounded audio (they sound better)
- Weather resistant seals
- Flash memory
- Inbuilt signalling options

Personally I discovered a couple differences between the TK-270 and TK-270g. I have a couple TK-270g's I use on the farm and the local VFD. I kind of needed another an found a TK-270 in ebay Once I got it I found a couple differences. The g uses the ... I think it is SMA? ... connector on the antenna. The TK-270 is a simple stud mount, just like a bolt. Also, the software that programs a TK-270g will not work on a TH-270. And while both are alpha-numeric, the g will allow labelling the channels. Either the TK-270 will not or else the previous programmer did not program it correctly.

I don't know, but I suspect the "signalling options" refer to the g's being able to sit as a pager until the correct 2-tone is sent.

I'm planning on putting the TK-270 on ebay by the way. Good looking radio, but I want to keep my system as uniform as possible.

I have noticed a similar slight difference in features in a couple mobiles. Don't remember the models, but while they looked similar one had an alpha display you could label while the other did not.
I don't know much about 2-way radios but I'm over 50 and can't remember not having one around. Everything from Buddy and Citi-fone to Icom and Kenwood.
westcoaster

Post by westcoaster »

ozzpoppy wrote:Can someone tell me what the G actually means as to K in Kenwood radios?
Short answer: No, no one can actually pin point exactly what the "G" will give you over the previous model.

Generically the "G" radio's are more advanced, have better features and more capacity. It would seam whomever was in charge of model naming had a brain fart and was suffering from a lack of imagination....

For example: kenwood tk-760H and 760GH. There is a world of difference between these radio's but they share the same model number.

kenwood tk-760H
http://www.morriswireless.com/downloads ... K-760H.pdf

kenwood tk-760GH
http://www.lakeheadcommunications.com/u ... k760hg.pdf