In need of programming cable help

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

kcscan146

In need of programming cable help

Post by kcscan146 »

UPDATE: I need help locating a good quality cable to program my 730. Also can anyone tell me what the most current version of KPG7D is? I have 2.01. Also my current problem with the cable I have is that it gets 62% through reading the radio then throws an error. Any help is appreciated.

Hello,

I recently acquired a TK730, which turns out is not a G spec radio so no narrow band, so I need to find a G spec unit, remote mount. Where might I find one? Also does anybody have an owners manual for this radio?

Now I need to know if there is a way to pull off the frequencies I need for the 730 from my 272G portable, I have the cable and software for both. All I need is a way to pull the frequency list off of the radio. I also need an owners manual for this radio. Also how do you put this radio into programming mode?

Thanks
Last edited by kcscan146 on Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
n9gik
Site Supporter

Re: Need some assistance with a TK272G and TK730

Post by n9gik »

You should be able to use your software tp read the freq's off TK-272g. That is the first thing I do, read the programming off a radio and save it as original.. Then if I mess up I can reload back to a baseline. You can print it out for reference if you want.

Now, as far as transferring them to the other radio, I suspect you will need to do it the old fashioned way
I don't know much about 2-way radios but I'm over 50 and can't remember not having one around. Everything from Buddy and Citi-fone to Icom and Kenwood.
kcscan146

Post by kcscan146 »

Thanks for the heads up, I won that radio.

Now more questions...I have a head for the unit that is 160 channel capable...how hard is it to make the deck 160 channel capable if for example I have another deck I can take the chip out of.

Also, How do I put my 272G into programming mode?

Could still use manuals for these radios.

Thanks.
n9gik
Site Supporter

Post by n9gik »

kcscan146 wrote:... Also, How do I put my 272G into programming mode?
Could still use manuals for these radios. Thanks.
I haven't stumbled across the owner's manual yet, which surprises me. Kenwood has downloadable manuals for several radios but not this one. If I think of it I will see if I can find a TH-272g owner's manual and scan it. As I recall it was actually a bit disappointing.

I did find a service manual pdf file at http://files.radioscanner.ru/files/down ... manual.pdf which I think tells you everything in the owner's manual.

As for programming mode, there is nothing special you do. Just plug it in, tell the computer to read or write, and it does its thing automatically. This is copied from the service manual:
I don't know much about 2-way radios but I'm over 50 and can't remember not having one around. Everything from Buddy and Citi-fone to Icom and Kenwood.
kcscan146

Re: In need of programming cable

Post by kcscan146 »

See top of my first post under UPDATE.
ka7wnf

Re: In need of programming cable help

Post by ka7wnf »

It errors because the chips don't match. You have a 32 channel chip in one part of the radio and a 160 in the other. OR one of the little chip resistors wasn't removed when the larger capacity chip was added. Do a search here or I can email you the instructions.
kcscan146

Post by kcscan146 »

Ok, I looked again today and the chips match, but after doing some searching here, apparently for the expanded memory to work R156 must be removed, which it is not on this particular radio.

So what is the best way to remove the jumper? I already looked and could not find a radio shop around so I'm going to have to do this myself.

Also on another note, the radio I swapped the extended memory chips from has the jumper removed, do I need to either get new chips for this radio or will the basic chips work?

The radio I'm trying to program at the moment is an H series, if that makes any difference.
ka7wnf

Post by ka7wnf »

Just touch the resistor with a soldering iron and pick it off with a small tool like a screwdriver. The other radio will work with the small capacity (32 Channel) chips if you jumper the pads were the resistors were. The resistor is 0 ohms so a piece of wire will work. OR you could buy a few more chips for Mouser for a couple bucks a piece and have a second 160 channel radio.

The H only means it's a high power radio. Chips are the same.