TK-760GH scan not working??

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

westcoaster

TK-760GH scan not working??

Post by westcoaster »

I have the scan button programmed
I have the channels "added"
I know there is traffic on the channels (one of them is a weather channel for now)

But.... The radio doesn't want to scan. I get a "beep" when I press the scan button

There is only one group programmed with about 11 channels.

I don't think anything is "broken" I think I simply haven't met all the right conditions to make the scan work.
I even tried loading a completly new program with a couple frequencies to no avail....

I am using kpg56d version 2.something. I can read and wright to the radio no problem

Any assistance would be appreciated

Thanks,
Starion

Re: TK-760GH scan not working??

Post by Starion »

Typically when a "beep" is heard, it notifies that something is "disabled" or either the SCAN key is mis-programmed or if only ONE channel resides in the scan list.

There are two ways channels can be added to the scan/delete list.

IN USER MODE: First off (if the user's commands haven't been disabled) is to toggle between the "D/A" key. This should place a small "A" on the LCD display indicating the that particular channel has been placed on the scanning list. Hitting the D/A key once again (must not be scanning-mode at the time) will remove the "A" from the display. If you happen to be scanning and press the D/A key while the channel has stopped and listening in on an active frequency, it will only temporarily delete the channel off the scanning list. There's reference to a "nuisance delete" feature.

IN PC PROGRAM MODE: When viewing the screen, after all the frequency data has been entered look over to the columns on the right side where you'll see a heading named "Scn". When the cursor is in this block, you can toggle selection with the space bar to "ADD" or "DEL". Be sure the channels you want in the scan group show "ADD". In your case maybe it's a good idea that the National Weather Service be placed in the radio but not on the scan list. Otherwise it will lock up every time the radio completes a scan cycle.

I'm curious when you mention that the weather frequency is in the radio whether it was programmed with or without a CTCSS (tone). If you know that you have an active frequency and can't hear it, the programming is in question.

There's also a chance that you set the program and inadvertently did not activate the feature when it comes to MULTIPLE GROUPS. If multiple groups (2 or more) were programmed in the software be sure that the correct group is activated otherwise it may default to a non-programmed group.

Finally there's feature to have the radio scan only while the mic in ON HOOK. If the connection of hanging a mic up is not recognized, the radio will not scan but will hang on that frequency of which it is stopped on.

If you're still stuck, I can go down the list of options to be sure everything is in order. BTW the default settings by Kenwood work pretty well. Usually it's a case of mistakenly forgetting to active a feature. Let us know how you make out!
westcoaster

Re: TK-760GH scan not working??

Post by westcoaster »

In the end it turned out to be the off hook scan. Appears to be disabled by default (at least with the software I was using) and I had to enable the feature.

Thanks for the reply!