Remote Mic for TK-7160

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

EMTeric29

Remote Mic for TK-7160

Post by EMTeric29 »

Hello all,

I am banging my head into the wall trying to hook up a remote microphone for a TK-7160. I have the KCT-39 in place. I have a Modular Jack on the wall. I have the software (KPG-99D). Now I need some help putting it all together. I am using a stock microphone, KMC-35.

Can anyone help?

What wire go where and what are the options that I need to enable for the accssory port in the programming?

Thanks,

Eric
n5tbu

Re: Remote Mic for TK-7160

Post by n5tbu »

Kenwood had a bulletin on this subject after many dealers complained. I can't locate it at the moment,but it was far too involved. It is easier to tie into the rear of the mic jack.
The mics need to be modified because the mic elements are always hot.Pyramid has the mic mods documented on their website.
Good luck.
mod
EMTeric29

Re: Remote Mic for TK-7160

Post by EMTeric29 »

So here is what I have now,

Everything is hooked up correctly and the radio transmits from the remote microphone (KMC-35) however there is very low audio, almost unreadable. I am assuming the mic mod would be increasing the bias voltage on the mic element. Can't find anything on Pyramids page. Does anyone know the correct voltage that should be on the mic element/mic high line. I plan on using a resistor from the supply voltage over to the mic high line inside the jack on the wall. Does anyone know if this works without damaging anything?

Thanks