Wiring a TK 730

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

Martyi

Wiring a TK 730

Post by Martyi »

Hi Folks,
I'm trying to wire my TK-730 and have some questions. There is a power plug on the radio and a yellow wire coming from the remote head. I would love the radio to come on with the ignition. Is this possible? Do both the yellow and red wires need power? The 15 pin plug in the back of the radio has 2 white wires jumping 2 of the pins. What does this do?

Thanks.

M
W7APD

Re: Wiring a TK 730

Post by W7APD »

The white jumper on the 15-pin plug is required to enable the speaker to work from the remote head.

The yellow wire should be for ignition sense. It should be on pin 2 of the 6-pin molex on the back of the head.

The usual setup with the ignition sense wire requires the ignition to be on for the radio to work, but the power switch works normally. The radio will be in the same state as when the vehicle was turned off. So as long as the radio is on when the ignition is turned off, then it will power up when the ignition is turned back on. There is an internal mod you can do that results in the radio powering up with the ignition wire, regardless of the power switch. I don't recall the exact procedure but it's in the manual.