Need 730 service manual

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

kk6rq

Need 730 service manual

Post by kk6rq »

I'm trying to adjust a TK-730H(G) (hi split) down to 144 and for some reason the TX VCO adjustment
simply ISN'T THERE inside the hole in the VCO can. The RX adjustment IS and adjusts fine but there's
just bare circuit board inside the TX hole (the left one as viewed from the front) All I can figure is
this is the wrong top-piece for the VCO can and the adjustment point is elsewhere out of my view.
I've done several 630's with no problem so something isn't right here. Anybody know where I can find
a PDF of the 730H(G) manual? I know for a fact its out of print so if asking is taboo, pretend I never
asked.

ps. I'd settle for the requisite page alone....
ai4ui
Location: Hung by the neck with a rope until I was dead, dead, dead...

Re: Need 730 service manual

Post by ai4ui »

You are not going to like this answer...

You have to remove the VCO can from the board, take a dremol tool and cut it apart. There are two (IIRC) ckt. boards inside the can. They are all soldered together and soldered to the shell of the can. After you get it apart, then you have to put a trimmer in the place where it should be it the first place. Once you've done all this, you have to put it back together and solder the cut you made without splashing any solder on the ckt. sandwich inside. Since you modded it, it is no longer type accepted and you're not supposed to use it on any commercial/PS frequencies, but ham is okay.

I did this one time, it was a total PITA & I wouldn't recommend it. I do not recall the value of the trimmer.

Unless you need the narrowband capability offered by the (G) then you would be better off with another radio. Even then, the narrowband capability isn't anything to write home about because it won't do 2.5 splits so you won't be able to program 1/3 of the possible narrowband frequencies.

I found the instructions on the net, but I just googled and nothing that looked familiar came up.

Regards

Robert
kk6rq

Re: Need 730 service manual

Post by kk6rq »

Since the fire dept. that owns it is primarily using it for fire, (they're also hams) they've decided to live with it not
working below 145.000. Thanks for the info-- it makes the decision easy.

I still need a 30-series manual, BTW, if anyone comes across it, or decides to put the work into making a PDF.