TK-2180 password

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

redbird

TK-2180 password

Post by redbird »

I bought a used TK-2180 and it has a programming password. Is there a way around the password? Can I create a new file and overwrite the one in the radio? Will someone please send me their radio file and tell me the password so I can try to find the password in the program with an editor and then try the same on my radio? Send file to ( remove the M's) MMvette772002@yahoo.comMM
DocHolliday

Re: TK-2180 password

Post by DocHolliday »

Last time I ever seen a situation with a radio like this one, it had to be taken to the shop and the tech do a sequence reset it.
kk6rq

Post by kk6rq »

So anyone ever sort a definitive answer to this? Read the serial bus w/ Winhex? Reset the whole thing and start from scratch? Got a pw-protected TK8180 and would rather not pay Kenwood to do it. Anyone?
txradioman27

Post by txradioman27 »

Do you have an existing 2180 file you can load to the software? if so, you can use that and then just shoot it to the radio, it will overwrite everything including the password.

If you dont have an existing file, open the software and go to Model, then pick TK-2180, click OK. a warning will appear, just click yes or ok. then key in a sample frequency and then program the radio. You're set !

hope this helps.
kk6rq

Post by kk6rq »

Sorry, no go; it's not just the READ authorization password that's been set, it's the OVERWRITE password.
Completely locked out unless we can figure out how to read the serial data stream or send it back to Kenwood.
txradioman27

Post by txradioman27 »

kk6rq wrote:Sorry, no go; it's not just the READ authorization password that's been set, it's the OVERWRITE password.
Completely locked out unless we can figure out how to read the serial data stream or send it back to Kenwood.
In that case, you can try WinHex. tricky though, but if you have patience you'll get it with WinHex.
rwo978

Post by rwo978 »

Can you reflash the firmware? Had a 8180 I got with some funky rare programming software required. Re-flashed it with the MDC1200 version and was able to use my standard Kenwood software.

Of course, the firmware programming would have to be enabled...
Ryan
KC0MOZ
rwo978@hotmail.com (use this e-mail, not other)