TK-730/830 Remote Head "Un-Conversion"

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

Ranger Rick 302

TK-730/830 Remote Head "Un-Conversion"

Post by Ranger Rick 302 »

I was wondering if the TK-630/730/830 series radios can be converted from remote head to "base mount." I know a lot of people take regular radios and convert them to a remote head setup, but I would like to do the opposite. Anybody know if it can be done, and if so, how? Thanks. :)
ka7wnf

Re: TK-730/830 Remote Head "Un-Conversion"

Post by ka7wnf »

Take both covers off the radio deck, then unscrew the front plate on radio. Disconnect the connector. On the control head remove the screws from the back and separate it. Disconnect the connector. Mount the head on the the radio by using the same connection from the radio right onto the head and put the covers back on. No software changes needed. The radio does not know if it's dash or remote mount. The only issue might be if you have the speaker coming off the head. If it's coming off the radio deck or it's internal in the head then you're done.
Ranger Rick 302

Awesome. Thanks for that, but I do have one more question. Since my external speaker is plugged into the back of the remote head (the two speaker wires are plugged into the remote head by themselves, as the speaker didn't come with a plug, only snipped wires), do I plug those speaker wires into the back of the radio? If so, which pin holes do I plug them into?
- Aaron
ka7wnf

Post by ka7wnf »

Pins 6 and 12 on the 15 pin connector. It will be numbered.
Ranger Rick 302

My radio's pins aren't actually labeled so I had a lot of trial and error, however, I eventually found which went where. Thanks! You've been a great help.
- Aaron
ka7wnf

Post by ka7wnf »

Oh, I didn't realize you didn't have the Molex connector. PM me your email address and I'll send you some documentation.
n_zero_ndp

Post by n_zero_ndp »

I know this picture isn't too informative, but it is from the back of a "30" series...