tk-630/730 Dual band mic audio help

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

n3qam

tk-630/730 Dual band mic audio help

Post by n3qam »

I am having issues with my mic audio on my 730 in this combo. Using the standard Kenwood hand mic , my audio on the 730 is extremely weak , but on the 630 side, the mic audio is great. Now if i switch to a kmc-9 desk mic , the audio is great on both the high band and low band sides. At first I thought I had a bad mic , so i tried another one and same issue.

Why would the audio on the 730 be extremely low and great on the 630 with the hand mic, but with the desk mic , the audio is good on both radio's .

Is it possible the the gain settings in the 730 are low , but with the lower impedance desk mic it makes up for it ?

could it possibly have something to do with the svr2000 that is also in the mix here ?
ka7wnf

Re: tk-630/730 Dual band mic audio help

Post by ka7wnf »

2 things I can think of, the gain on the 730 is too low. Or there is a fault in the plate that connects to radio 1. I had a 630/830 setup that had alternator whine only on the 630. There was a faulty relay in the adapter plate. It switches the mic audio from one radio to the other.

You could also attach the control head directly to the radio and bypass everything to see if the problem is in the radio or the dual band setup.