Kenwood 3140 Low Battery Alert

Forum dedicated to discussion on Kenwood Commercial Radio products

Moderator: willbartlett

Kenwood 3140 Low Battery Alert

Post by 545 »

A friend of mine dropped his 3140 handheld the other day, and now no matter what fully charged battery we put on his radio, the low battery alert activates and then resets the radio like you are turning it on. Has this happened to anybody else, or does anybody have any ideas before I start taking it apart? My first thought is to reprogram the radio to see if that works, but that seems too simple. Thanks in advance!
Dave
n7maq

Re: Kenwood 3140 Low Battery Alert

Post by n7maq »

545 wrote:A friend of mine dropped his 3140 handheld the other day, and now no matter what fully charged battery we put on his radio, the low battery alert activates and then resets the radio like you are turning it on. Has this happened to anybody else, or does anybody have any ideas before I start taking it apart? My first thought is to reprogram the radio to see if that works, but that seems too simple. Thanks in advance!

There was a service bulletin out about this. On the older units there is a small resistor that gets damaged by the LCD holder and it will need replaced. It is a surface mount resistor, so be sure who ever repairs it has the correct soldering skills, tools and access to the service bulletin. The sb shows how to modify the LCD holder so it does not happen again.

If he needs help getting it fixed locally drop me a PM or mail to n7maq at yahoo, I have done several of those repairs.

Jim
Last edited by n7maq on Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 545 »

Thanks for the info Jim. I'll pass on your info to him. If he decides to repair it, I'll send you an email.
Dave

Post by 545 »

PM sent to you Jim.
Dave